What do you use to filter your tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an ex- Seattle resident. People living along the North Pacific coastal region are enjoying water of almost RO quality. Without doubt there are other localized regions with equally acceptable water quality fresh from the tap.

In my case, I have to agree, at least with the water in this local. RO is the way to go. RO does not remove chorimines though. Further treatment for chlorimines is required.

High grade granular carbon will remove choramines but at a trickle rate unacceptable for most brewing setups, at least IMO.

The only problem with RO treatment is the terrible waste of water. It usually takes about 8 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of RO water. The remainder goes down the drain. IMO, not a pleasing picture. If the RO waste water were used on a garden, then that might be productive, especially in a drier region.

I'm glad to hear from another Pacific Northwesterner. I lived in a suburb of Seattle from about 10 years and since leaving I can say that I was certainly spoiled by how great the water quality is up there. The tap water tastes better than most bottled waters. There is something about that water from the ice and snow melting up in the Cascade mountains that is just so fresh. I wish I still lived there just for the sole reason of the water quality that I have become to appreciate as a homebrewer.

Back