Saison with Sage & Lemon Basil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrown4

Reaction score
Brewing this tonight.

Size: 5.04*gal
Efficiency: 359.08%
Attenuation: 75.9%
Calories: 168.92*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.002 - 1.012)
Color: 5.13 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.06% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 31.2 (20.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
0.25*lb Dextrine Malt (steep)
0.5*lb Cara 20 - Caramel Malt (steep)
3.0*lb CBW® Pilsen Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract)
1.0*lb CBW® Bavarian Wheat Powder (Dry Malt Extract)
1.0*oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
.25*oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
.25*oz Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
1*tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
1.0*oz Lemon Basil (fresh) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
1.0*oz Sage (fresh) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
.75*oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0*m
.75*oz Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0*m
1.0*ea WYeast 3711 French Saison (generation 2)

Totally missed my gravity, looks like its at 1.035. Followed the recipe exactly and it didn't appear that anything went wrong. Any ideas?

Either way, it smelled fantastic when I put in the herbs. Looking forward to seeing where this one will go.

1.035 sounds about right for 4 pounds of DME. You will get about 8-9 points per pound (8*4=32 so about 1.032 and you may have picked up some points from the steeping grains). This is slightly fudging numbers on my part but I use it as a general statement.

If you want a higher OG you need more extract.

EDIT: Those numbers are for 5 gallon batches. You can definitely look up the actual points contribution online. They tend to be in the 30s to 40s and those are for one gallon. I divided that by 5 and that is how I got 8-9, and each grain is different, hence why I said that I fudged the numbers a little.

Thanks! Yeah, I was sure I did everything correct...I guess I was just relying too much on the accuracy of BTP's calculations. I'm not overly worried about it. as long as it tastes good...I was aiming for somewhat low ABV too.

how did this turn out? Have a ton of basil and sage growing and can only make so much sage brown butter until my arteries are completely clogged...

Bottling it today. Tasted it prior to dry hopping it with more sage and lemon basil. Tasted pretty good. Hoping the extra addition pushes it a little.

Bottled today. Tasted about 8 oz of what was left over. Smelled and tasted fan-f*cking-tastic. EXACTLY what I was going for. Very herbal, savory notes...even some earthy mint notes in the middle. Finished clean and herby. I cannot wait for this to be done carbing. My brew buddy who helped bottle today said this would be the perfect Thanksgiving beer.

If this turns out...I can see brewing another one or two batches of this before my garden is done for the season.

Truth on the Thanksgiving meal. In Brewmaster's Table, Garrett Oliver talks for multiple pages about how biere de garde is the PERFECT beer for thanksgiving (more the gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.) meals. BDG is very similar to saison, but a touch maltier, or in some cases, straight up sweeter up front, and many of the herbal notes come from the yeast and fermentation temps. He says that those herbal notes link up great with the herbs in stuffing/bird, etc., and the complex malt backbone enhances turkey, which he says, truthfully, is usually not the all-star of the thanksgiving meal. Just bottled my first, and it is AMAZING, plus they say is ages well (translated to "beer for keeping").

May have to do a 'saison-y' beer with the herbs you mention, plus maybe a bit of darker malts that will be ready in time for turkey day.

Congrats on a successful brew...may have to 'borrow' from this recipe soon :-D

Back