Hops outgrowing Trellis - Photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
My hop plants are outgrowing my trellis, even though this is their first season! While I'm very happy, I'm also unsure of what to do. The plants are starting to flower & I'm not sure if I should trim the tips or let them be. As you can see by the photo, only the middle seems to be an issue right now. There is about 2 feet of bine that has nowhere to go. Will it be ok to just leave it alone & let it dangle? Guidance please.

IMG_4790[1].jpg

Just leave it alone and let it dangle. Once flowering starts, upward growth slows to a stop. Next year, consider going all the way to the peak of your house, if possible. I have an eight foot bamboo pole extending from the top of our one-story and the hops reach the top without fail. I'll post a picture in the 2012 thread today to give you an idea to consider for next year.

Looks like you've had a successful first year of growing!

Thanks. I'm going to make a few adjustments next season. Not sure if I could go to the peak, but its obvious that this Columbus is going to be nuts from now on, so I've got to figure something out. I was hoping someone would say leave it alone, so thanks.

I'm in San macros too where did you get your rhizomes? I've been trying to find them but seems like I missed the sale by a couple of months. Any ideas, I'm interested in growing my own. Gyo I think I just invented a new abbreviation

I'm in San macros too where did you get your rhizomes? I've been trying to find them but seems like I missed the sale by a couple of months. Any ideas, I'm interested in growing my own. Gyo I think I just invented a new abbreviation

I ordered mine online & they were sent to my house, but I later learned that HydroBrew in Oceanside has them for sale. Not sure if mine are established enough to cut a chunk of root off, but if so, I'll spot you a clipping after I harvest.

Oh awesome I'll have to check with hydrobrew I haven't been down there yet only the smokin beaver. Thanks for the info and I would definatly graciously except a starter from you only if you think your plant would handle the donation. Thanks Dustin

I would not let it dangle since you do not know how long it could get in which it might bend and crease the bine from too much weight. I would somehow find a way to attach it to something. I have a first year Columbus that is already a foot over the top cable at 17' feet and I expect it to continue growing. I will attach it horizontally to keep it going as the hops will continue to form on the upper parts of the bine.

Back