Lavender and Heather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
Ok, i was wondering if you anyone has brewed with either of these with great success..

I would like to do something different from the norm.

Im not sure what style of beer these would work best. I know heather can be used in scottish ales (as in tradition) but im not looking for something like that. I want more of a low alcohol and body type of beer that really points out each of the styles.

These would be used in separate beers.

would a cream ale or a blond work well with these?

What type of flavor does heather give off?

How much should be used? im thinking a hop/heather

(Separate brew) combination of lavender with some clover honey/ or honey malt/ orange blossom honey / Maybe some vanilla

just trying to see what experiences people have had and any recommendations.

I think lavender would go well in a lighter Belgian beer like a saison. A blond ale would probably be good as well. I've never had any beer with heather. I did recently try a farmhouse ale made by Stillwater Artisanal Ales that used white sage - it was pretty tasty, the sage gave it a very interesting finish.

I used home-grown lavender in a hopped up pale ale I did a few months ago. I didn't particularly take care washing the lavender, and I ended up contaminating my batch. I used about 2 oz in a 7 day secondary. The smell was amazing, but the beer quickly deteriorated. I'd experiment with 5 one gallon batches using various amounts of lavender prepared different ways before I'll do it again--but there is definitely something to brewing with it. Simcoe and lavender are an amazing combo!

I used home-grown lavender in a hopped up pale ale I did a few months ago. I didn't particularly take care washing the lavender, and I ended up contaminating my batch. I used about 2 oz in a 7 day secondary. The smell was amazing, but the beer quickly deteriorated. I'd experiment with 5 one gallon batches using various amounts of lavender prepared different ways before I'll do it again--but there is definitely something to brewing with it. Simcoe and lavender are an amazing combo!

I would try either freezing it and then thawing before adding next time, or sanitizing it with some vodka and adding the vodka, as well as the lavender, in. Thanks for the tip on lavender and simcoe. Sounds awesome!

I would try either freezing it and then thawing before adding next time
That doesn't really do anything. Slows down wild yeast sometimes, but they won't be all killed off.

I really like lavender in wheat beers. Wit was the first one I did (brewed with a buddy- we later saw The Bruery's homebrew recipe for Orchard White, and it was darn near identical). I have also tried lavender in oatmeal stout, ESB, saison and american wheat. I preferred the wit but YMMV. Take a light hand with it for sure- lavender is STRONG. Make sure you use culinary lavender too- the "provencial" stuff tastes soapier to most people.

I'm brewing a Scotch ale (heavy) with heather tips in place of the bittering hops. After 2 weeks in primary, it tasted very bitter. Not hoppy, more sour. After two more in the secondary, the sourness had changed more floral and hop-like. I've kegged it and am lagering for about two or three months before I carbonate. Overall I think it's worth brewing and drinking in large quantities. :mug: Cheers!

I have used Lavendar quite extensivly. I toss it in just before flameout. and let it sit in the hot wort for 5 mins before chilling

Back