Citra/Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBandit

Reaction score
Ok, I haven't made a pale ale before and I am pretty excited about this recipe:rockin: tell me if you have any suggestions.

6lbs Gold Malt Syrup (45 min)
1lb of Bries golden light DME (15 min)
1lb of honey (5 min)

1oz of chinnook (60 min)
1oz of Pearl (20 min)
1.5 oz citra (0 min)
1oz cascade (0 min)

I haven't done much for hoppy beers so I could use some advice when it comes to hop scheduling. :drunk:

Thanks guys, and Cheers!!:mug:

I would take out the pearl replace with the citra and keep the cascade where it is. is this a 5 gal batch?

So cut the pearl and add more citra or just move the citra to the pearl slot? If i added more citra it might turn into an IPA, but that's fine. Love citra :D

Well if that's the case you could take the 1.0oz originally slated for Pearl, replace with Citra and do a 0.5oz--20 min addition and a 0.5oz--10min addition. That'll cut the IBUs while still allowing for flavor and aroma from the Citra.

I haven't made many honey ales, but that does seem like an awful lot of honey.

Does anyone else think so? I was thinking 8oz might be better.

Forgive me if I'm wrong though!

I made a Cascade and Pearle IPA, which turned out phenomenally well. Got all the good grapefruit, and was a lovely rounded bitter beer.

I find Pearle is a soft bittering hop which also helps with aroma, and my beer showed me that the Pearle did not "interfere" with the Cascade, but probably added a soft roundness , perhaps floral to the brew.

I'm thinking about switching the golden malt out for pilsen malt. I would like to get a lighter color. I suppose this will sacrifice some maltiness and mouthfeel. Any suggestions on blending the two or how to make this as light colored as possible?

I use Perle as a 20 min addition in my APA. I split my 1 oz Cascade into .33 (First Wort Hop) and .66 7 min addition. I use Magnum for my bittering due to the high alpha rating to help with the cost.

Generally considered on the best beers I make and a general favorite of many :)

I love citra though. I've been thinking of dry hopping with an oz of it for my next batch.

Back