Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary to ferment in? Or should I keep the one with the spigot just for bottling?

I use a spigot bucket for my primary, means I don't have to siphon into the bottling bucket.

Some will claim it leaves space for contamination, but I have had no issue.

However, you will want a bucket with spigot for bottling as well, as you don't want to bottle from the primary (don't want all that trub in your bottles).

I've used 6 gallon buckets with spigots for primaries since I started brewing in 1993 and never had an infected batch. Every 4 or 5 years I change the spigot and I never use any abrasives. I still use a couple of buckets(with spigots) that are 15 years old.

How are you adding your primng sugar straight to bottles? Problem is mixing in preboiled priming sugar, you dont really want to disturb the yeast sediment,thats why most rack to a botteling bucket, i did my first few your way but didnt trust using dry sugar to the botttles.

Sounds a little too close to a Mr. Beer operation for my liking. Having said that, I don't think the homebrew police will be breaking down your door. As long as you love your beer, you did it right...

How are you adding your primng sugar straight to bottles? Problem is mixing in preboiled priming sugar, you dont really want to disturb the yeast sediment,thats why most rack to a botteling bucket, i did my first few your way but didnt trust using dry sugar to the botttles.

carb tabs

Pricey, but there ya go.Simple method,i agree, why take another risk of racking or sanitizing. I agree with that and it is so simple.Hope it works out well, i would have stuck to that if i had invested in a supply of carb tabs.I think i preferr dme to prime with though.

I used the spigot to rack onto the priming sugar in a bottling bucket or carboy for dry hopping, now into the keg or carboy. Spigot level usually draws a bit of yeast initially, so I draw a sample or two for a gravity reading and to taste, and wait until I see clear beer to transfer.

Sounds a little too close to a Mr. Beer operation for my liking. Having said that, I don't think the homebrew police will be breaking down your door. As long as you love your beer, you did it right...
There's nothing wrong with a Mr Beer setup. The little fermenters they use are just as effective at fermenting beer as a food grade bucket or carboy. It's just a far more basic level of brewing, with practically just a "just add water" approach. But I've used my old MB fermenters for smaller batches of beer of my own creation even after I gave up Mr Beer style brewing for being too easy.

The only drawback to using a bottling bucket for a fermenter is the difficulty of controlling the trub uptake into a second bottling bucket/bottle with a spigot instead of using a siphon.

All of my fermenters have spigots of differing sizes. So does my bottling bucket/secondary. I usually use it just for bottling,as I found bulk priming is way better & creative for me. I used it as a secondary once for oaking an ale. Probably should make another one just for secondary,though.
That way,I could still have a bottling bucket open.

The only drawback to using a bottling bucket for a fermenter is the difficulty of controlling the trub uptake into a second bottling bucket/bottle with a spigot instead of using a siphon.
I always hear people say that but I get more crap siphoning than I ever get from my spigots. I just leave the bucket flat on the table until it's almost empty then slowly tilt it to get every drop. Maybe people put the spigot too close to the bottom-mine are at least 1.5 inches up and the trub/yeast stay in the bucket. When I have to siphon I always get some trub from the siphon tube hitting the bottom and sucking some in.

Same here. I get less from the bottling bucket spigot than the auto siphon I need for the cooper's micro brew FV. The spigot on that one is so high,it leaves 4-6 bottles worth under it.

I use a bucket with a spigot for my primary. (Out of paranoia, I do tie on a clean sandwich bag over the outside of the spigot so nothing can get in.) I then rack to a carboy for my secondary. Then rack back to the same bucket for bottling.

Latest posts

Back