Vienna Lager Eliot Ness Vienna Lager Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This clears so nicely in the keg, so good after a month in the keg.
1zxm87r.jpg

Been at 35 degrees for 2 weeks, doesn't seem to be clearing up, should I be worried? Should I throw some gelatin findings in?

Been at 35 degrees for 2 weeks, doesn't seem to be clearing up, should I be worried? Should I throw some gelatin findings in?

I wouldn't worry. Did you pull a sample, or just look at fermenter? Sometimes the yeast cling to the sides of it and that can make it look cloudy. I'd give it 2 more weeks, then check it again. If you wanted to add gelatin I'd do it then.

Just looked at the fermenter, I made it on December 31st so I guess I should just be patient

Is this ready to drink after kegging, or should It be aged in the keg? If so should it be aged at room temp or in the fridge? Thanks!

Brewed this up yesterday but missed my OG by a few points, didn't take into account the lower yield from all that Munich malt. Pitched a starter of Wyeast Bohemian Lager 2124 and it is happily bubbling away as I type. Fermenting at 52F currently. I'm excited as this is my first attempt at a lager, just hate waiting even longer than I already do with ales! Lol

Well I have to admit that I too brewed this recipe. :)

I brewed it on 10/18, two weeks later it landed at 1013 (diacetyl rest too). Cold crashing for a few days at 34F then keg and lager for a few weeks.

My only sample didn't have much of a malt aroma and was a bit hoppier than planned. On the plus side, it was already pretty.

Hey guys,
I saw this recipe and really liked the grain recipe and the look of the beer, so I gave it a shot at brewing. I brewed this on 1/12/14 and came in low on my numbers at 1.055 OG. I pitched the next day at 52*. I pitched 838 in one 5.5 gallon carboy and 830 in the other, just to experiment. My fermentation cooler is outside on the patio and is generally a perfect place for it, unfortunately this winter weather has been reaching us down here in Florida! The cooler is set to 55*, but I know the weather has been getting into the low 30’s! I currently live in WPB, but have all my stuff at my house in Tampa so I am unable to check on it daily! This weekend I am traveling back to Tampa and was going to check the gravity and the beer itself. I am thinking with the low night time temps that a lot of the yeast has fallen out of suspension and have not fully flocculated out. Thoughts were to just repitch some lager yeast… Anyone have any other recommendations or advice? Hoping the beer didn’t get ruined! Should I still be expecting to hit the 1.014 FG?

Note - This is my first lager too...

You'll still get more attenuation out of it when you warm it up for your D-rest. Check it, post your gravity. You'll probably be ok. Its best to keep it constant, but I doubt that it ruined the beer.

Newbeerguy, how many vials of liquid yeast did you use for your starter? I'm seeing Mr. Malty says to use two vials with a 2L starter. Just seeing if you use one or two vials.

Newbeerguy, how many vials of liquid yeast did you use for your starter? I'm seeing Mr. Malty says to use two vials with a 2L starter. Just seeing if you use one or two vials.

Use 2 vials. I may of just used 1 vial, but error on the side of caution and pitch more. A big lager like this needs a lot of healthy yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Use 2 vials. I may of just used 1 vial, but error on the side of caution and pitch more. A big lager like this needs a lot of healthy yeast.

Thanks for the reply. One more question for you. I brew in 10 gallon batches and ferment in two different ale pales so I can use different yeasts. I have two big flasks and stir plates so I'm able to do two starters as well.

I'm thinking WLP830 in one and SAFLAGER S-23 in the other, but would be open to substituting out the dry yeast for a different liquid yeast. Any recommendations?

I brewed this and it came out with a STRONG grassy flavor. Not sure what went wrong ? :( It was really disappointing. Will have to give it another go.

I brewed this and it came out with a STRONG grassy flavor. Not sure what went wrong ? :( It was really disappointing. Will have to give it another go.

That's a bummer paulkantor! Only time I've heard of grassy flavors have been from bad hops or sometimes old malt.
How do you store your hops? If you don't already, put them in the freezer until you use them.

I saw that this was your first all grain attempt, how did the brew day go?

Thanks for the reply. One more question for you. I brew in 10 gallon batches and ferment in two different ale pales so I can use different yeasts. I have two big flasks and stir plates so I'm able to do two starters as well.

I'm thinking WLP830 in one and SAFLAGER S-23 in the other, but would be open to substituting out the dry yeast for a different liquid yeast. Any recommendations?

I'd like to see how the WLP Bock yeast (833 I believe) would do in this beer....I've had nothing but bad results with the s-23.

Newbeerguy, I ordered all the supplies for this batch from Austin Homebrew Supply. I brewed the batch a few days after receiving the ingredients. I would think AHS moves enough product that the chances of getting old grains or bad hops would be slim? Maybe just a fluke? I really enjoyed brewing all grain. I will give this another go very soon!

Newbeerguy, I ordered all the supplies for this batch from Austin Homebrew Supply. I brewed the batch a few days after receiving the ingredients. I would think AHS moves enough product that the chances of getting old grains or bad hops would be slim? Maybe just a fluke? I really enjoyed brewing all grain. I will give this another go very soon!

Hmm, yeah, i highly doubt that you got bad ingredients from AHS. I've ordered from them many times without issue.

Are you 100% sure the flavor you were getting was grass? Not vegetable, corn, buttery or apple?

Just trying to help narrow down the cause.

Sipping on the GL original, I'd like to take this recipe and lighten it up a bit for a summer beer - thinking more of a Mexican export body than the heavy winter/fall of the GL. Would I be OK to follow the recipe as 3.3 lb Munich lme, 3lbs light DME, + 1 lb rice solids & the same specialty grains and hop schedule? Also bump to 5.5 to 6 gal? Probably looking to wyeast California common/ steam beer yeast.

I am 90% sure it was a grassy flavor. I have never had a problem with anything from AHS myself.

Sipping on the GL original, I'd like to take this recipe and lighten it up a bit for a summer beer - thinking more of a Mexican export body than the heavy winter/fall of the GL. Would I be OK to follow the recipe as 3.3 lb Munich lme, 3lbs light DME, + 1 lb rice solids & the same specialty grains and hop schedule? Also bump to 5.5 to 6 gal? Probably looking to wyeast California common/ steam beer yeast.

I would cut the hops ~1/2 if your going to lighten the body. This is on the hoppy side for a Vienna lager and would be very hoppy on a lighter base. You should be fine to keep the speciality grains the same especially if your steeping, not mashing them.

Just acquired the grain/hop bill for this. Tomorrow's the day!

[edit] All brewed up. It's chilling to pitching temp now. For whatever reason my last two brews have had terrible efficiency, this one included. Only about 69% when I've hit 80% several times. Will post a pic once it's finished fermenting/lagering.

Made second batch. I split the Munich into equal parts Munich and Vienna. LHBS got a new mill, efficiency was Great. I had 6.5 Gallons in the fermenter at 1.070, i did use an extra pound of Vienna.

Brewed 10 gal of this, this morning. I thought for sure i had H hops... nope, just one ounce :( so sub Mag for bittering and the H for the flameout... I set my IBUs at 26...

.7 Oz for 60 Alpha 15.2
.5 Oz for 30 Alpha 15.2
1 Oz Hal at flameout Alpha 4.2

2206 Bav Lag that I saved and stepped up twice to 2 liters

13lbs 2row
8 Munich
2 Caramunich
1 Crystal 40

into two 5 gal buckets into fridge to cool down to 51 before I pitch the yeast...

I'm brewing up a Vienna Lager tomorrow to tap for the 4th of July. Jamil's recipe, but using Brulosophy's ale temps for lager yeast. Imperial yeast L17 Harvest at my basement temp of 64 degrees. I have been on a lager kick since listenting to the Brulosophy podcasts on using lager yeast at ale temps. I have been quite impressed with the results. No off flavors, clean, crisp, lagers without the hassle. Keg and gelatin should clear the beer in time. Will post results. Prosit!

Back