Apfelwein Bottle Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Kelly

Reaction score
So i asked this on the EdWorts Applewein post but I assume the 551 pages of posts in the thread made my question ridiculous.

So, I am on my 4th week of fermenting the Apfelwein. I am going to carb in the the bottle. Will there be any yeast in suspension in order for this to carb up properly??

Thanks in Advance!!

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.

Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.

Hmm I had apfelwein sitting in a carboy for 3 months, I bottled it half carbed half uncarbed. I used 2 oz priming sugar for 24 bottles of apfelwein and they are really undercarbed after another 4 weeks at 70 degrees.

My last batch of apfelwein sat in primary for about 10 weeks (until clear). I sucked up a tiny bit of yeast off the bottom (just a bump with the siphon) when i was racking, and added the priming sugar (i think 3/4 cup for 5 gal). It took a long time to carb up (a lot longer than beer), probably 6 or 7 weeks (maybe longer, I ignored the hell out of it after it was still flat on week 3) until it was fully carbed.

just be patient, and dont drink it all too soon, it starts to taste really good about 3 or 4 months in.

Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.

These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.

Can I just say Yooper... That your "Enough Football" is darn right blasphemus... just saying :)

Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.

No, there's definitely something wrong. I've done many batches in these same bottles and they carb up like beer - very firm in a week and fully carbed in 2-3 weeks. One thing I did do different with this batch was not using a bottling bucket. I primed the bottles and filled two bottles; the rest went directly into containers for back sweetened still cider. I think what might have happened was this: when I used a bottling bucket and prime the entire batch, I got a little yeast in the bucket when I tilt the fermenter to get the last of the cider. What went into my bottles was the first siphoning of the undisturbed fermenter and didn't get enough yeast to prime. That's all I can think of at least.

No, there's definitely something wrong. I've done many batches in these same bottles and they carb up like beer - very firm in a week and fully carbed in 2-3 weeks. One thing I did do different with this batch was not using a bottling bucket. I primed the bottles and filled two bottles; the rest went directly into containers for back sweetened still cider. I think what might have happened was this: when I used a bottling bucket and prime the entire batch, I got a little yeast in the bucket when I tilt the fermenter to get the last of the cider. What went into my bottles was the first siphoning of the undisturbed fermenter and didn't get enough yeast to prime. That's all I can think of at least.

Thank you for the tips! I bottled about half of it (27 bottles) uncarbed then added 2 oz priming sugar to the bottling bucket, stirred and bottled the rest. Over a month in and minimal carbonation! I will either prime each bottle next time, or use carb tabs/drops

Re-primed, back sweetened, and added a dose of Notty. Bottles are starting to firm up in 24 hours. I suspect in a couple days I'll have to stash them in the fridge. Hopefully they taste OK.

Cracked the first bottle today (been sitting in the fridge 3-4 days). Hypercarbed - had to bleed pressure real slow to avoid blow out. Even so the effervescence of the cider completely remixed the yeast sediment. Now I have hefe-cider! And it's not half bad! I'll let it settle a day or two and try it again. So far so good.

Back