question about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigban

Reaction score
just wondering if kegging reduces the time needed to bottle, since your forcing the carbonation. and also is it possible to bottle the beer after being kegged?

Yes, as you stated you can force the carbonation and you don't have to fill x-amount of bottles. You can bottle afterward but you'll need a counter pressure filler, beer gun or a homemade version of a filler.

Dido what dozer said, and remember, bottling also includes cleaning, sanitizing and storing each bottle. It takes a ton of time to bottle beer compared to kegging. Also with bottling you have to be more concerned with locking oxygen in the bottle. With kegging, because CO2 is heavier than O2 you can quickly purge the oxygen from the keg and be more sure that you are not ozygenating your aging brew.

is this an easy process for a beginner?

very easy, the BMBF (link above) is the way to go. and kegging is also not very difficult. the only difficulty is in getting the right ID lines, length, and PSI, but it only takes a day or two to figure out your system.

But, remember, forced carbonation does not reduce the conditioning time.

Meaning it's still going to take the same amount of time for the beer to be ready to drink?

Also could I keg without a co2 tank? Just put some dextrose in there and it will carbonte it self?

Meaning it's still going to take the same amount of time for the beer to be ready to drink?

Also could I keg without a co2 tank? Just put some dextrose in there and it will carbonte it self?

You are still going to need a co2 source to provide the pressure to dispense.

No, kegging is faster in terms of carbonation. He meant that it does not reduce conditioning. For example, if you condition the beer long enough (4 weeks in the primary is good for me) then you can force carbonate and get great results.

Everyone force carbonates differently but for me I set my tank to 29 psi and leave it for 3-4 days. Anything faster is just rushing it.

I love kegging and also have a beer gun and keep some pop-top bottles around so if I want to take beer with me I can.

I force carb at 10-15 psi for about two weeks. But as you have read there are many ways to do it.

Like anything the key to patience in conditioning your beer is have a pipeline. Easier said then done but it is fun trying.

Back