Couple of questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ok well, first off.

My first batch of cider, i made from a random mix of apples, Pitched my own yeats and used campden tablets. Didnt add any sugar, but i let it ferment out completely dry, backsweetened with non-fermentabkle sugar, and i liked the taste. I bottled it into 2 litre plastic bottles, that i bougth full of still water, and eptied and put my cider in. I carbed it in these bottles also.

Now teh first two bottles i drank were really nice. Then the next coupel were horrible, than i had anotehr nice one. But now the rest have tasted really like... id like to say sour but its just a horrible like, burning taste, any ideas on whats happened?

My next question, is there any problem to using too much concentrate. I have a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenting barrel, and i put in the conentrate from a kit that was to make 4.5 gallons of cider, however teh first time i filled my fermenter up, and it tased weak and horrible. I tried again, this time i used, two cans of concentrate, so enough to make 9-10 gallons, but im only making 6.5 gallons. Is this a problem.

Also, it called for 1kg of white sugar. I used 1kg of white normal sugar, but then i also added 500g of molasses sugar, as i like the taste and thought id experiment. Can you see any problems with using more than enough conentrate, and adding molasses? Its been fermenting vigiourosly all week, and i plan to stop it by coldcrashing before it ferments completely dry

is it sort of like vinegar? I would suspect an infection like acetobacter. BTW, plastic bottles are not impervious to oxygen transfer, so your cider can oxidize through the plastic. Oxygen + alcohol + acetobacter = vinegar

Yea i guess it is a bit like vinegar. Which is a shame! Ill defo use glass bottle next time i think.

I don't think you can blame the bottles in this case. Plastic bottles should be ok for up to a year. If it was carbed oxidation shouldn't be a possibility. Did you add more camden before bottling? Perhaps you had some spoilage due to a wild malolactic or other bugs.

Back