Modified Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnelson929

Reaction score
Modified Baltic Porter with Ale Yeast
0.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 80 (15 minute steep w/ temp below 170 F)
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Black Malt (15 minute steep w/ temp below 170 F)
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate Malt (15 minute steep w/ temp below 170 F)
0.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 120 (15 minute steep w/ temp below 170 F)
3.0 lbs. Dark Dry Malt Extract (60 minute boil)
6.0 lbs. Munich Malt Syrup (60 minute boil)
2.0 oz. Perle (60 minute boil)
1.0 oz Mt. Hood (.5 T-15, .5 T-5)
Post boil, cooled wort to 100 F. Re-hydrated yeast @ 100 F, stirred yeast after 15 minutes. Pitched yeast 15 minutes after stir.

OG 1.050.

I did divert from the provided instructions by boiling all the extract for the full 60 minutes. I believe this is why my OG was not closer to the recipes expectation of 1.075. Does anyone think this will impact the flavor in a negative manner in the end product?

I set my bucket aside to allow for fermentation for at least 2 weeks this afternoon. It's about 10 pm now and the airlock has just been blown across the room and the lid as well. I feel like this fermentation is going to be better than the last. I've added a blow off tube, hopefully this will allow for enough gas to escape and not have the beer fly everywhere again.

Is this a common problem for many of you or do you just start with a blow off tube regardless?

7:05 Am CT following brew day. I've blown my lid a second time with the blow off tube. Is this just good fermentation or have I done something wrong?

Back