So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brewing a half batch of wheat wine (extract). Only a half batch because I am experimenting with the recipe.

Just mashed in a pumpkin ale. This is my first go for a AG pumpkin ale, used the Thunderstruck recipe as a base to go from.
I'm a little late starting this, but it should be a good holiday brew.

Just mashed in a pumpkin ale. This is my first go for a AG pumpkin ale, used the Thunderstruck recipe as a base to go from.
I'm a little late starting this, but it should be a good holiday brew.

I'm brewing thunderstruck today as well. I'm also brewing Jamil's Wit today. The wit is on the boil, and the pumpkin is mashing.

I'm hoping I only leave this brew day with the one small burn on my thumb, but we'll see!

Brewing my Stinki Dog Pale, while the dog chews a bone(her version of helping).

Pulled off the "So Long Summer" Witbier yesterday, AG in 4.5 hours. Going to add some tangerines in secondary, when it gets there. I know it's 3p.m. but I am thinking about going after the cream ale. I have flaked rice and I am thinking about nixing the corn.
**sleepy**

I haven't had a brew day like this is a while - Fun with yeast cakes!

I had a beefed up stout in a primary vessel for about two weeks & I was going to move it to a conditioning vessel this weekend. I always hate letting a yeast cake go to waste. I went to the brew shop yesterday & got the ingredients needed for an imperial stout.

I brewed up a big ole Imperial Stout (orig. gravity: 1.084), transferred the beefed up stout to a conditioning bucket, & racked the Imperial Stout on top of the Irish Ale yeast cake from the previous stout. I also added a vile of Dry English Ale yeast to the wort --- I heard that it helps finish out higher gravity ales & will dry out the taste a tad. I was thinking that would be a good thing if all this sugar didn't get fully converted. The imperial stout is already bubbling away!

I will let this imperial stout stay in primary of 2 weeks, then rack it to a conditioning vessel -- more than likely with a few oz. of oak chips -- for one month, then bottle.

I've got a 60 Shilling going right now. It will be a big yeast starter for a 70/-. 80/-, Wee Heavy and an Irish Red. After those are done I'll have 9 beers already done for next years NHC.

I had a good day as well on Saturday, transferred my IPA to my seconday and dryhoped it. Now I have a Hefeweizen in the primary that was brewed on Sat as well, that is going off like a yeast party this AM. I love this new hobby of mine!!!!

I won a red ale kit (or part of one) in a raffle and brewed it Saturday...with one helluva hangover. The kit had just the LME and the crystal. I just used some of my opened hops up in it. I think it was:

3.3 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs Amber LME
1.5 lbs Crystal 20L (or was it 40L...whatever)
.5oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz Cascade @ 10
.25oz Cascade @ 0

5 gallon boil, then topped off. Pitched a Notty. It'll be beer of some sort. :)

I ended up adding 3 oz of a puer (black fermented chinese tea, normally has a slightly smokey to sweet earthy taste) to my stout. I'm hoping it'll turn out well, I've had a few green tea pale ales I love, but puer is my favorite tea and I think it will compliment the stout nicely.

Going to brew an All Centennial APA/IPA. Was thinking about doing 1oz FWH, 1oz 60min, 1oz Flame Out, 1oz DryHop - 5g batch. Sound like a good hop schedule?

Going to brew an All Centennial APA/IPA. Was thinking about doing 1oz FWH, 1oz 60min, 1oz Flame Out, 1oz DryHop - 5g batch. Sound like a good hop schedule?

I would check the AAU's for the 60 minute boil to make sure it has enough balance for whatever grains you are using.

I would check the AAU's for the 60 minute boil to make sure it has enough balance for whatever grains you are using.

My Centennials are 6%AA. I'm looking at around 1.060-1.065 SG, and maybe like 40 IBUS. My Amarillo/Simcoe was 1.061 w 50 IBUS and it was great. Cents are kind of powerful though. I always have a hard time trying to ratio my bitt/flavor/aroma hops and SG. I try to just do equal amts of each. Is there any good way to have an idea, without just trial and error? Beersmith has an IBU/SG ratio, I guess a 1.0 is an equal ratio? Sorry for the OT post.

Thanks for the help! Switched out the manifold in my MLT with a steel braid, and went from losing 1gal of liquid under the manifold, to hardly having a cup left over. Very excited to brew this weekend, and hopefully get a good eff!

This weekend I think I can squeeze in the time to use my new mash tun (upgraded from 5 to 12 gallon). I'm thinking my recipe will be something along these lines...grain bill is loosely based on EW's Haus Pale. ;)

8 lbs Pale
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Biscuit
1oz Black Patent (may substitute for Carafa III...may use both)

.5 Palisade @60
.25 Palisade @30
.25 Palisade @15
.50 Cascade @15
.25 Palisade @0
.50 Cascade @0

~1.059OG / ~30 IBU / ~11 SRM

Pitch with a Notty. I've got a ton of Palisade hops and have never used them before. I wanted something that would give me an idea of how they work but was afraid to use all Palisade since I've read mixed reviews. Any tweaking ideas are welcome.

Bottled my very clear Black Pearl Porter last night - had a bit of an alcohol bite, so it is going to bottle age for longer than I planned. ABV on that one turned out to be ~ 5.764.

This weekend is going to be a Belgian Dark Strong Ale (from the recipe section) that is for drinking this coming summer, or next fall. Thinking of a bit of oak and maybe some bourbon? Who knows. :drunk:

Also going to bottle the best Merlot, or any other wine, I have ever done. Sat on oak for two months and is so perfect now........ :rockin:

started a double IPA last night, and as soon as one of my fermenters frees up I'm gonna do something quick and dirty to get me through the winter.

Just finished an "I don't know what". It's a little two row with medjool dates, brown sugar, concord grape juice, red himalayan rice, orange peel and ginger.

I'm brewing up a boring ole wheat tomorrow, but it's kind of like the potato of my kegerator. I've got a super malty and roasty brown ale, an 8.2% extra IPA, and a 6% Blackheart stout on tap now. I figure that wheat beer will round it out nicely, and then I'll be on to a Barleywine, ESB, and Dunkleweizen for my next brews. It's going to be a fine drinking harvest season!

Latest posts

Back