Using 100% Brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvetter

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some suggestions about making a brew fermented with 100% brett. I have read all of the books on lambic and sour beer, even made a lambic, but have not made an all brett beer yet.

From what I have read brett likes a ph of 3.5-4, so its good to add acidulated malt to drop the acid level down. Any other suggestions? What about yeast strain. I see that white labs has claussenii, bruxellenis, lambicus and wyeast has the latter two. What strains do people like?

Any suggestions with regard to pitching rates and starters? Should I create a starter? If so should I do anything different than a starter created for a brew using Sacharromyces?

What inspired me to finally do this is Victory's Wild Devil, which is essential their hop devil made with 100% brett. Has anyone had this or have any idea what strain it was made from? I really enjoyed this brew because it had great brett character but also a decent amount of hop bitterness.

Thanks in advance.

I have some information that you will find invaluable:

5305 NW 27 ave
Gainesville, FL 32606

That is my address. Make this and send me one. Your beer is guaranteed to taste better to me if you do this.

Back