Black IIPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
Just planning out some upcoming brew sessions and I'm looking for some input. For this beer I'm looking for a pitch black, citrus hop bomb, with a noticeable rye presence. Here's what I've put together so far and would appreciate any suggestions anyone has...

Batch Size: 3 gallon OG: 1.083 FG: 1.023 IBU: 93 SRM: 40

7.0 lbs 2 Row
1.0 lbs Rye
1.0 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Carafa III
0.5 lbs Chocolate Rye

0.50 oz Falconer's Flight @ 90 & 60 min
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight @ 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, & 1 min
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight dry hop x 7 days.

Planning on re-pitching part of a yeast cake of US-05

So is the chocolate rye going to give me too much roast flavors for this style? I don't mind roasty flavors, but I don't want to overdo it. The hops should be the focus. I was planning on cold steeping the Carafa III overnight in the fridge.

Also wondering about my choice of hops and hop schedule. Is there a different hop/hops you'd recommend or perhaps change up the schedule a bit? I'm aiming to get a nice hop flavor/aroma and the bitterness to just edge out the maltiness.

I would throw in some debittered black if you are looking for a really dark color.

I'd get rid of the chocolate rye altogether, you have more than enough Carafa III to give you a black ale. The chocolate rye will only add flavors not normally found in black IPAs.

Thanks for the advice. After reading what others have said about the flavor of chocolate rye, I think I'll drop it and save it for a stout.

I did a Blackish IPA a couple of months ago, great flavor but was more dark brown then black. I used a 0.5 lb of chocolate rye in a 5 gal. batch and it was pretty good just gave it that something extra that I was looking for.

Back