Time to pitch new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi_brewer

Reaction score
Brewed a 10G batch of a cream ale yesterday, OG 1.045. Split the batch between 2 fermenters. Pitched US-05 into both, both were rehydrated with 100* water.

26 hours later and no signs of any yeast activity. Using carboys so I can see inside, no activity at all. Both were from the same lot, purchased at the same time.

Wort was 64 degrees when I pitched. Holding at 64 in my fermentation chamber.

I have one more packet of US-05 that I could pitch (different lot, purchased at a different time). How long do I let it ride before I pitch it? Thinking that lot could have been mishandled prior to purchase...

If I do need to repitch could I split the remaining packet between the 2 carboys? Or do I need to make a special trip to the LHBS for another packet?

Standard reply: it can take anywhere from 24-72 hours to see signs of fermentation. If your sanitation is good you wait another day or two

All of your process sounds good except the 100F water for rehydration - that's a bit warm (80-90F is more standard). I think you were just shy of the cusp of too hot; probably more harm than good. That being said, even if you killed 50% you were still in the ball park for reasonable pitching amount. Then you pitched with a large temperature discrepancy (~90F vs 64F) so it probably shocked them a bit, but likely didn't kill many. In the end, I would say that they will themselves out and if you've done a good job with keeping things sanitary prior to pitching then you'll notice no ill effects. I would say keep your last packet of yeast for your next batch and don't rehydrate so warm, and keep the temperature difference a little closer next time for a quicker take off.

+ another vote for wait it out. US05 can take a bit to get rolling. Usually if I oxygenate well and use fresh yeast I see a decent krausen form with US05 around the 26-30hr mark with a 1.050+ beer. I keep the house at 73 and ferment at room temp.

Thanks for the reassurance, I needed it.

This yeast usually takes off for me, so I got a little nervous. Next time I'll rehydrate at 80 as well.

Back