My first Belgian Tripel (my 6th beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apt23Brewery

Reaction score
Hello All,
So this is my first day logged in, and my first appeal to the brewing community to give me advice on my next brew.
In 2 weeks I plan on starting a Belgian Tripel. Here are the list of ingredients that I picked up from my local home brew guru. He's never steared me wrong, however, I want to do this one really well, because recently I had a major blow to my home brew ego with a Holiday Ale that had a band aid flavor. All my others have been soooooo good, and this one just did not meet my standards.

13.2 lbs Pilsen Light LME
1 lb candi sugar
1 lb clover honey (high quality)
1/2 lb 20 crystal
1/2 lb 40 crystal
WL Abbey Ale Yeast
2 oz. 4.5% Kent Goldings (Pellet, Bittering)
1/2 oz 4/3% Liberty (have an extra 1/2 oz left) (Pellet, Aroma)
Also Going to use bottled water for this batch. A first for me.

I plan on doing a steeping of the grains from cold to 155 F, with a 20 minute steep at the 155 F.
Then Bring to a boil and add my LME slowly over 20 minutes. 1 can every 5 minutes.
Then Bring back to a boil and add my Kent Goldings and boil for 40 minutes before adding Candi Sugar
Boil 10 minutes and add Liberty hops and Candi Sugar
Terminate Boil and add Honey to the mix, then cool.
Cool to 80 F, and transfer to cool water in Primary
Add water to 5 gallon mark
Stir slowly then test O.G.
Pitch Yeast

Any suggestions/changes? Thank you all for your help!

The reasons for Honey are
1) I've been wanting to work with honey recently, and wanted to start in a low quantity to get the hang of how this will add flavor and body to a beer.
2) My homebrew store owner said that he has done several tripels with and without honey and has enjoyed the flavor that honey has added.

If you want the honey flavor, add it at flameout. Otherwise all the flavor will boil off. Either way, it may not come through if you end up with a real spicy yeast profile.

Back