Widmer X-114 (Citra) IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any locals have this at Widmer? I last had it a couple months ago at the pub here in Portland -- really need to get back and take some notes. Really curious how this is hopped. I recall it having an intense pepper/tropical/citrus nose.

Would like to make a stab at something similar for an IPA.

I've had this at the pub in portland and down at GABF. Really good beer. I talked to one of the guys there and said they bitter with the alchemy blend and then use citra the rest of the way. No specifics though. I bet the hop bill would be pretty simple with the citra, some at 30, 15, 5, 0

They also were pouring a citra blonde at GABF that didn't really do it for me.

I emailed Widmer, but they were pretty non-specific. They suggest light caramel malts + base malt to create a medium body. They recommend "resting between alpha and beta amylase temperatures" for single infusion. I'd guess 152.

They also recommend 1 lb of Citra for 30 gallons of brew (2.7 oz or 75.6 grams) into the whirlpool of fermenter.

I'd guess it's Alchemy hops for bittering with Citra to provide the aroma. Beer Advocate has the beer listed as a 6% ABV, but that seems light. I'd aim more for 7% with a 1.065 - 1.070 OG and 55-65 IBU.

One of my next brews will be an IPA along these lines w/ Citra. I'll update if/when I get something. Suggestions of course welcome.

I had it at Widmer a few months ago. I seemed to remember something about it being their Broken Halo IPA recipe with Citra (didn't know it as Citra, then) instead of thier regular finish hops.

I had it at Widmer a few months ago. I seemed to remember something about it being their Broken Halo IPA recipe with Citra (didn't know it as Citra, then) instead of thier regular finish hops.

Interesting. Makes sense they would tweak something vs invent. Widmer's page puts Broken Halo at 45 IBU, 6% built from 10L, 20L and CaraPils.

I had this at the GABF. I liked it a lot, had and orange citrus note and not over hopped. Nicely balanced. I talked to the Widmer guy in the booth and he said the hops where a proprietary strain that they have a patent or copyright or something on?

I live in Colorado and I just want to know how I can get some. Is it released yet?

This is my first post. Thanks for the info .I'm going to give do some more research and give this one a try next week. Some good starting tips here.

This was soo delicious. I didn't understand what all the talk about Citra was until now.

Definitely going to try to get my hands on some!

I just got home from work with a six pack of this. I'll have one after my jack and coke : D

i have to say, i'm not likely to grab a beer if i read that citra hops are prominent in it - they've gone too far!

It was pretty good -- drank two last night. Crystal hay color, perfect carb but the head was very weak and short-lived with light lacing. Nose was very citrus/piney with traces of sweet fruit but not overdone, well-balanced malt flavors with the hops. It definitely showcases Citra without overdoing it -- although after two I was ready to mix it up.

I found this on the brewnews website - http://beernews.org/2011/04/widmer-brothers-launches-rotator-ipa-series-x-114-ipa-leads-off/

Ingredients
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Caramel 30L, Carapils
Hops: Bittering-Alchemy, Aroma – 114 (Citra)
Dry Hopped and Aroma Hopped – 114 (Citra)
Original Gravity: 14.3 P
Apparent Extract: 2.9P
IBU: 50
Alcohol by Volume: 6.2 percent
Color: 10 SRM

so I came up with a quick recipe in QBrew to try this weekend.

IPA X114 - American IPA
Brewer Batch 5.00 gal

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.060 OG Estimated FG 1.015 FG
Recipe Bitterness 51 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.8%
Recipe Color 10° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.6%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
9.50 lb American two-row Grain Mashed
1.00 lb Crystal 30L Grain Mashed
0.50 lb CaraPils Grain Mashed

Quantity Hop Type Time
0.40 oz Citra (14%) Whole 60 minutes
0.60 oz Citra (14%) Whole 20 minutes
0.60 oz Citra (14%) Whole 10 minutes
1.00 oz Citra (14%) Whole 5 minutes
Dry Hop 1 oz (14%) 3-4 days

Yeast
SafAle05

I have had lots of X-114 on tap and in the bottle. It is a great flavor, I love the citrus aroma. Widmer has been running ads in beer magazines (and Portland rags) containing commercial recipes. I just took the 10 barrel recipe that Widmer is running as an advertisement and entered it into BeerSmith 2. Next I scaled it from 315 gallons (10bbl) down to 5.5 gallons and made some minor tweaks to get the following recipe. Their proprietary "Alchemy" blend had two hops that were easily substituted with Nugget (which I happen to have in the freezer). I played with it based on a 90 minute boil to hit a target of 50 IBU (per the advertisement). Thinking of brewing this Friday or Saturday!

Recipe: X-114 IPA
Brewer: Widmer Bros
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.13 oz Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 79.3 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.4 %
14.1 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.3 %
1.13 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 50.7 IBUs
0.21 oz Calcium Chloride (Boil 90.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
2.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 14.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 18.87 qt of water at 179.8 F 156.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 6.94 qt of water at 207.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.57 gal water at 168.0 F

I have never been a big fan of IPAs, maybe because northwest ipas are not balanced well for my tastes. However, I have recently been drinking lots of Shaddock IPA and I am in love. Recently zombie dust got me hooked on citra, and adding grapefruit peel is a match made in heaven. So, I am going to brew a pale or ipa with tons of late citra hop. But how much grapefruit peel would you add? Any help is appreciated. Sorry to jack this thread but shaddock is this ipa with small tweaks and grapefruit.

Latest posts

Back