Where to buy Extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanavich

Reaction score
Thinking of making my second ever purchase of extract kits and wanted to know of the best place to order online from as far as quality and price is concerned. I live in Miami so LHBS is a no go. Last purchased with Northern Brewer. Was thinking of Midwest and was noticing many misc items I needed were more expensive than at northern (not getting into ingredients).

Anyone have recomendations?

If you're looking at price, just stop by the syrup section in your local Piggly Wiggly supermarket, and pick up an extract kit of Premier Malt Extract for under $6.00US.

If they're out, they can order it for you!

Pogo

+1 to AHS. Greta kits, huge selection, and they have some discount kits (plus look into the 50 state sale thing)

Thanks guys. now I nemember why I chose NB. They list the recomended ferm temp for each kit. I live in miami so hard to keep them cool enough during the summer(spring, summer, fall). Even so AHS has a huge selection. I'l probably spend days trying to choose a few.

Thanks guys. now I nemember why I chose NB. They list the recomended ferm temp for each kit. I live in miami so hard to keep them cool enough during the summer(spring, summer, fall). Even so AHS has a huge selection. I'l probably spend days trying to choose a few.

I like NB and AHS, but that's not really a concern. We can tell you, or it will say on the yeast what temperature to aim for. Buy on price or quality.

I buy at both northern brewer and midwest, but it's mostly because they're both within 20 minutes of my house. That might not help you very much though because I don't have them shipped.

I basically make my choice based on what kind of kit I want to buy.

I've been buying from morebeer.com
Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer
So far so good. I also go to this website Brewer's Best Ingredient Kits
They have ingredient lists for different "Brewer's Best" kits. I select a beer style I want to make and then customize the ingredients to my taste (depending on how much I want to experiment). Then I order the ingredients from MoreBeer. Their extracts are the most reasonable I've found and if you order $59 or more, shipping is free.

Definitely go with AHS. Huge selection with fairly good descriptions of each. And did I say flat rate shipping? I just ordered about 7 extract kits from them a week ago.

I'd say the prices are pretty comparable, if not better when including in the shipping.

My LHBS Is The home brewery

Now I Know their kits are $10 more each than the Northern Brewer equivilant and they don't do the flat rate shipping - but for me the quality of their kits is so much better that i pay the extra money

They only use DME not LME, Irish moss and corn sugar are included in the kits and the final product is great

Honestly I thought all the NB kits came out very bland and I've done at least a half a dozen from NB

Definitely go with AHS. Huge selection with fairly good descriptions of each. And did I say flat rate shipping? I just ordered about 7 extract kits from them a week ago.

I'd say the prices are pretty comparable, if not better when including in the shipping.

I have been kind of interested in some of the kits available at AHS, the only thing that has really kept me from buying one is that they don't list the ingredients on the website. Forrest did tell me that I could email them and they would let me know what actually came in any kits I was interested in, but it's an extra step that has so far kept me from buying from them.

I have been kind of interested in some of the kits available at AHS, the only thing that has really kept me from buying one is that they don't list the ingredients on the website. Forrest did tell me that I could email them and they would let me know what actually came in any kits I was interested in, but it's an extra step that has so far kept me from buying from them.

+1

That is kinda annoying... and i am not sure of the reason. :confused: But it is a quality place to purchase your brewing needs.

+1

That is kinda annoying... and i am not sure of the reason. :confused: But it is a quality place to purchase your brewing needs.

They told me it's because they don't want other homebrew stores copying their ingredient kits. It's a bit silly in my opinion. It would be like Budweiser being afraid that Coors is going to copy their recipe. It's not likely to happen, Coors doesn't want to make Budweiser beer, they want to make Coors, and if Coors did decide to copy Budweiser's beer, most of Budweiser's customers would stick with Budweiser because it's mostly about branding anyway.

They told me it's because they don't want other homebrew stores copying their ingredient kits. It's a bit silly in my opinion. It would be like Budweiser being afraid that Coors is going to copy their recipe. It's not likely to happen, Coors doesn't want to make Budweiser beer, they want to make Coors, and if Coors did decide to copy Budweiser's beer, most of Budweiser's customers would stick with Budweiser because it's mostly about branding anyway.

Your analogy isn't close. We have the largest selection of recipe kits by any homebrew store. Many of them are award winners.

There are a lot of stores that can't create their own recipes or they have a customer that wants a recipe for a certain clone. If we had the exact recipe available for all of our recipes, it would become a recipe database for their customers.

If we have spent the time and test batches to come up with a clone, I would hope someone would at least buy it from us once. The website lists the ingredients so you can decide to buy it or not. Once you buy the kit you get the complete recipe. Then you can buy the ingredients anywhere. Once you buy a kit from us you will understand why everyone recommends our kits.

I am sure you understand.
Forrest

Honestly I thought all the NB kits came out very bland and I've done at least a half a dozen from NB

I like northern brewer and have never had a problem with them, but this is something I've noticed as well. Their recipes (especially the low/med gravity ales) seem to be formulated with cost as the primary objective. They keep their recipes very simple, which for some styles works great, but a lot of them do end up a bit "blah". Not bad for $15-18, but sometimes the savings show.

Your analogy isn't close. We have the largest selection of recipe kits by any homebrew store. Many of them are award winners.

There are a lot of stores that can't create their own recipes or they have a customer that wants a recipe for a certain clone. If we had the exact recipe available for all of our recipes, it would become a recipe database for their customers.

If we have spent the time and test batches to come up with a clone, I would hope someone would at least buy it from us once. The website lists the ingredients so you can decide to buy it or not. Once you buy the kit you get the complete recipe. Then you can buy the ingredients anywhere. Once you buy a kit from us you will understand why everyone recommends our kits.

I am sure you understand.
Forrest

I have to say as far as your clones go they cannot be beat. Recently a friend bought clones of magic hat no9 and blue moon, and compared them with the same clones from his local HBS and your's head's and shoulder threw them a beat down. I'm getting the no9 clone and sam adams summer from you in the next few weeks.

:mug:

As far as non-clones I have yet to see anyone beat morebeer.com prices there kits are cheaper and shipping is free when you buy 2 kits. I have 2 of there kits fermenting now.

I have had nothing but great experiences brewing with MW's extract kits. I have to admit I haven't tried kits from any other source. I recently ordered a list of ingredients from AHS for an Alpha King clone, and the order ended up being pretty pricey when compared to the kits I've ordered. My last order of 3 kits from MW ended up averaging $43 a kit, delivered. The ingredients I ordered from AHS cost $61, delivered, a not inconsiderable difference. I will have to shop & brew a few AHS kits, and then compare.

i've been ordering kits from MoreBeer and Northern Brewer. Both have been great, MoreBeer is close (California to Vegas) but I like the quality of Northern Brewer. Their kits come in a well labeled box, where morebeer comes in a bag.

They both taste great though, that's what really matters.

Back