Recipe calculator confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowBrewer

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm putting together a dry stout and using a couple of different calculators to get the proportions right. Tastybrew.com's calculator and Beer Calculus give me two completely different recipes. Which one is more accurate? I've always used Tastybrew but a friend suggested I try Beer Calculus. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

...I'm putting together a dry stout and using a couple of different calculators to get the proportions right. Tastybrew.com's calculator and Beer Calculus give me two completely different recipes. ..
How different?
They should be generally close. There could be slightly different figures and calculations like for instance the default AA for hops.

Ok, tastybrew says:
6# extra light LME
1# roasted barley
.5# chocolate barley
.25# malt wheat
.5 oz challenger at 60
.25 oz challenger at 30

Beer Calculus says:
4.5# LME
.75 rb
.5 choc
.5 wheat
1 oz hop at 60
.5 hop at 30

So, one says more malt, the other more hops. I don't want an overly hoppy stout but I don't want a thin one either.
This is an attempt to clone Beamish with extract and steeped grains. Any additional advice? Thanks in advance.

4.5 # seems light to me but I like large stuff. With those light hopping amounts I wouldn't worry about over hopping with either choice. This is for 5 gal. right?

I have only used beer calculus and it has been spot on every time.
I only brew AG but can't see how that would make that much of a difference.
Are you building theses recipes with a specific OG and IBU in mind?

4.5 # seems light to me but I like large stuff. With those light hopping amounts I wouldn't worry about over hopping with either choice. This is for 5 gal. right?

Yes, 5 gal. I think I may do the "happy medium" option and use 5# LME.

Thanks for the relply.

I have only used beer calculus and it has been spot on every time.
I only brew AG but can't see how that would make that much of a difference.
Are you building theses recipes with a specific OG and IBU in mind?

I want to stay in the 1.048 - 1.050 range for OG, IBU...well I don't like an overly hoppy stout so I'm thinking 30-35. Beer Calc. looks good and it gives me a style comparison that I think is closer to what I want. But, I don't understand why the other calculator is so different.

I'm gonna stick with slight differences in the calculations and the way ingredients are entered.

A quick look at Challenger AA shows the default is the same for both recipe calculators and they both allow selection of boil time and type (pellet/whole). This should match fairly well unless there is a difference in another value.

The calculators are slightly different in the way you can choose batch size and boil volume. Getting the right numbers in everywhere can make a difference.

I'd say give the edge to the tool you already know, particularly if you have matched the calculations with readings and tasting and etc.

I normally use either Qbrew or Beer Calculus.

You are correct that, while the recipes are still similar, they would not produce the same beer.

Well folks, it's in the fermentor with on OG of 1.046. A little lower than I had planned but, it smells and tastes good. Thanks to you all for the input and advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you enter the recipe you actually brewed do either of the calculators get in the ballpark of your OG?

Yes, Beer Calculus hit it exactly. I think I'll be using it from now on. BTW, had a blowout Monday morning, fitted a lock instead of a blow-off tube. Lost about a pint, no big deal but a fine mess to clean for sure!

Back