Gas distribution.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you handle gas distribution? I'm putting together a three keg setup. The barb coming out of my regulator is a standard 3/8" and my gas in ball locks are 1/4" barbs. Somewhere I have to get from 3/8" to 1/4".

I want to install a gas shut off and check value in each gas line. I found these combo check valves at Micromatic (Beer Gas Regulator Shutoff), but I would need to step down to 1/4" hose three times, once for each ball lock. Not impossible, but it seems to be a significant increase in the places gas can leak out. Ideally I'd like to find a manifold with a 3/8" barb going in, 3 gas shutoff/check valves with 1/4" barbs going out.

Any suggestions or do I just bite the bullet and buy 3/8" to 1/4" adapters a lot of clamps?

The manifold is a logical option. 3/8" to 3/8" to the manifold and the 1/4" barbs to your ball locks. The other option would be to replace the tailpieces on your ball locks with 3/8". Usually there is a hex nut with a separate tailpiece that screws on. You can just replace the tailpiece. They are cheap.

You can fit 1/4" line on 3/8" barb by placing the tubing in hot water for a few minutes.

Back