IPA tastes like peanut butter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
putting my ipa into secondary to dry hop for a bit. smelled fantastic but it had a really peanut or nutty taste to it?

ingredients were: light malt, 40L half pound, carapils quarter pound, and biscuit half pound(no victory was available and guy at brew store said its a good substitute). 4oz centennials. and now 2 oz of chinook into seconday. 5gallons total.

i know biscuit is supposed to give the bready/nutty flavor but this is almost overpowering nutty...

if this is normal, did i just have too much victory/biscuit? what would be a better volume for something like an ipa?

also, ive read that chinooks give off a pretty strong flavor/aroma, will this counter balance the nutty taste?

Never judge a beers taste while it's still in the "growing" stages.

1/2# of biscuit doesn't sound like that much.

Let the beer finish fermenting, dry hopping clearing and conditioning, then taste it chilled and carbonated.

I've actually had a couple of brews where I will take a quick sniff while removing my blowoff tube and putting on an airlock and they had a super strong peanut butter smell (no idea how they tasted at that point, I don't really taste until I'm bottling,) but the end product wasn't really nutty tasting at all.

I use biscuit all the time...5# is fine for 5 gallon batch..what was the OG?

give it time..

it will resemble a english IPA or pale ale a bit more than APA..but hey they are tasty as well.:ban:

J

Never judge a beers taste while it's still in the "growing" stages.

+1 on that. But as long as you are not judging it, it's a good idea to take a little taste of your new beer at every stage you meet it. It's surprising how many changes the taste can make before it's ready.

+1 on that. But as long as you are not judging it, it's a good idea to take a little taste of your new beer at every stage you meet it. It's surprising how many changes the taste can make before it's ready.

I think this is the first beer related post I've seen you make.:D

I think this is the first beer related post I've seen you make.:D

Actually, I make more beer related posts than you'd think.......They are always very simple and basic though. (And sometimes better ignored) :mug: I'm still a noob myself, so I try not to contaminate the beer threads too much. Infections can be nasty :)

thanks for the info guys, the og was 1.07 and the gravity i took when going to seconday was 1.02, it had sat at 1.02 for a long while and an online tool said that should be my FG (realized where i got the recepie it had not gravity info :(

i just wanted to know if it was my ingredients giving that taste,so hopefully a few weeks in seconday and a few in the bottle should balance it out.

learned that with my first batch, tasted not like devils anus but maybe a demons anus lol. but 4 weeks in the bottle and it settled down nicely. (though it was all extract so it had little body and not much flavor)

bumping an old dead thread. i just bottled an ipa that i made with victory and it has an insane and overpowering peanut aftertaste that makes the beer not pleasant...i'm withholding judgement until after 3 weeks in the bottle and then if it's not good another 3 months in the bottle, but wondering how the OPs came out

I just brewed a fat tire clone, which had a pound or so of victory, and it tasted super nutty when I tranferred it to secondary. The taste has mellowed a lot and now it has a rich bready taste that's not overpowering.

CidCitrus - that's encouraging. Have you bottle conditioned yet? it's interesting to see what the malts do and how they evolve.

Yeah it's at about 4 weeks in the bottle now and tastes like what I remember it tasting like (it's been a few years since I've been out west enough to drink it). I'm fairly positive that nutty taste was the victory malt since I haven't used it in any other beers yet. The taste is still there, but not nearly as strong. It complements instead of overpowers.

Back