Maui Brewing Co. - Coconut Porter, OMG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbeats

Reaction score
I thought this would make a good thread for those that appreciate this most awesome beer!
Now, the question. Has anyone attempted a clone? :D

I thought this would make a good thread for those that appreciate this most awesome beer!
Now, the question. Has anyone attempted a clone? :D

There's a homebrewer named Ken Schmidt that makes a coconut macadamia coffee porter. Stone brewed it. Maybe you can find that and simplify to just coconut. Maui's beer is pretty unique, though!

Last April I had the pleasure of vacationing in Maui and shaking the hand of the owner Garrett Marrero. First day in Maui we went to his brew pub and sampled almost every beer on tap. He makes a Red Cock Doppel Bock that is awesome. I stopped by his brewery just to take pics of it and had to shake his hand after seeing him out front. Dude is totally cool. Took the time to actually talk to me. Before I left he said I had to try his newest production beer. He had his head brewmaster bring me 4 unmarked silver cans of his Mana Wheat. Highlight of my whole 8 days there. We went back to the brew pub a couple days later and the wife ordered a Coconut Porter Float. Rediculous good. The bartender gave me 2 free pint glasses before I left. They have one of those cool frozen bar tops to keep the brew cold while consuming.

I attempted a clone once but my golden retriever ate all the coconut I had prepared and so I said screw it and made a blueberry porter...

Perhaps I should try again.

I had it in Hawaii a couple of months ago and agree it is great and I would love to try to clone it as well.

I went to Maui Brewing in July this year and had their IPA and Bikini Blonde. Both were very good. Strange that outside of their brew pub, their beer only comes in cans though. Probably just me but tasted much better on tap than in the can. Fun place to go and about the only brewery I found in Maui.

I've made a double chocolate coconut stout before using an AHS kit and adding coconut extract at the end of the boil and using toasted coconut flakes in the secondary. It was very good, subtle aroma and flavor from the coconut similar to the Maui Coconut Porter.

GO FOR IT!:rockin:
doublechoconut.png

I took a stab at a clone about a year ago and it was nowhere near Maui's. I made a pretty good robust porter. I bought 4 coconuts and cracked them open. I saved the milk and added it to the mash water. I toasted the coconut from all 4 and added 1/4 to the mash, 1/4 at 5 min or so left in the boil, 1/4 at flameout, and added the last 1/4 in secondary. Each addition was just shy of 1 lb of coconut.

I took the porter to one of our homebrew club meetings after it had aged for about a month. The people that tried it said it was a really good porter. However, no one detected the coconut until I told them that it was in there. Only then could they faintly detect it. If I ever try it again, I think I will use toasted coconut as well as coconut extract. I believe that will get me closer to Maui's.

On a side note, there is a brewing podcast (basic brewing?) where the Maui brewing co. owner is interviewed. He talks about the coconut porter.

I have heard nothing but good things about this beer, I want to brew it sooooooooo bad. I won't be going to Maui any time soon. Somebody has to have a good recipe. Can anyone post it?

I love this Brew! It goes so well with "Moco Loco" at Hapa J's in San Clemente...I'm planning on making a 15 gallon batch of this in the next few weeks.

On a side note, there is a brewing podcast (basic brewing?) where the Maui brewing co. owner is interviewed. He talks about the coconut porter.

If you can find this podcast, I'd be really interested in checking it out. I'd appreciate it.

I've got some friends from Hawaii who are coming home for the holidays, I might have to put in an order.

Oh this sounds delicious - i wish it was sold here
The search engine on this forum is terrible - can anyone point me to some good threads on brewing with coconut?

Back