Question re. My First Primary Fermenter Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a GE 7 cubic foot chest freezer as the container/cooler for a primary fermenter. As you can see from the image, the compressor is located on the right side of the freezer:

photo.jpg

Should I should drill a hole that is similar to the one in this image, below, for the cord to the heater? The compressor box on my freezer is on the opposite side, so the hole for my cord would be on the top left corner of the compressor box.

30211d1311256043-yet-another-fermentation-chamber-build-questions-ferm02.jpg

A description of the original build that I am using as a model can be found on the following thread here at hbt:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yet-another-fermentation-chamber-build-questions-258097/

Update: Drilling a hole on either side of the compressor box is probably safe if I'm being careful and know the location of the different components inside, but I've been unable to locate a schematic of the freezer, and that reduces the operation to one of careful guessing. After reading several threads re. "drilling holes in chest freezer" I've decided to go with a wood collar instead. As an added plus, it gives me practice for how to form part of a keezer if I want to take that on in the future.

Best,

Steve

I'll probably go with the collar. I am wondering if simply anchoring it to the bottom part of the freezer with liquid nails will be adequate for the weight of the top as it opens and closes on the hinges, or whether there is some way to hang the collar more securely?

Another option is to use the hole on the bottom that drains the water after you've defrosted the freezer. Since the freezer is going to be in the 35 - 65 degree range, I am wondering if frost will be an issue at all, and whether a rubber gasket can be fitted to the hole that will allow a power cord through to the fermenting chamber inside.

Best,

Steve

so call me crazy, but i just throw my little space heater over the side of the chest freezer, and close the lid. Works fine. Maybe over thinking it?

so call me crazy, but i just throw my little space heater over the side of the chest freezer, and close the lid. Works fine. Maybe over thinking it?

+1

I just drape the power and temp probe cords over the side. They aren't big enough to cause any thermal/cooling loss...

That being said, if you want a cleaner looking installation, that method should work just fine. You'll just have to rewire your heater.

+1

I just drape the power and temp probe cords over the side. They aren't big enough to cause any thermal/cooling loss...

That being said, if you want a cleaner looking installation, that method should work just fine. You'll just have to rewire your heater.

Definitely over-thinking it, lol...

Back