Power Distribution Blocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skarude

Reaction score
I am looking for some input on what distribution blocks I should be using for an all electric rig. I will be feeding the box with a 4 wire 30A GFCI RV cord. I have seen quite a few different blocks and found a few that I think will work. (example)

Can anyone who has been down this road already comment on what they would use?

I am looking for some input on what distribution blocks I should be using for an all electric rig. I will be feeding the box with a 4 wire 30A GFCI RV cord. I have seen quite a few different blocks and found a few that I think will work. (example)

Can anyone who has been down this road already comment on what they would use?

I went to automation direct, picked up a HUGE block for about $40 It can accept larger than 6AWG line and up to I think 8AWG loads... it is awesome.

You are looking at what appear to be the terminal strips? The blocks are more expensive, I like them a lot though.

For 120VAC 20amp, I use this assembly of mcmaster numbers

7527K27
7527K64
7527K17
7527K12
7527K991

Assembled it looks like this:
CIMG3958.JPG

I was looking at the ones from automation direct and they are very nice. Really they are exactly what I want but the line side is listed as accepting 2awg - 8awg wire and I believe my 30A cord is 10awg so these won't work for me. I need to keep looking for something like these that will work.

Oh the Grainger ones look like they might work. I am using them to distribute my main power out to feed 4 SSRs, conrtol etc. Pretty much the way Pol has his set up.

Do most of you use these for Power/Neutral and have a separate ground bar?

The work around for using a the Automation Direct block is using a 8/2 & 6/2 range/dryer cord for the load side. Would cost you a little extra, but you could put in another outlet to power an 8/2 6/2 cord for power...

That's not a bad idea. I actually ordered one of these. I hope it will do the trick, but I guess I can always re-sell it if not.

Yeah, L1 & L2 (hots on a 240v circuit) and neutral...I suppose it would work for ground as well. Was acutally thinking about running one of those 1 load/4 line distribution blocks for the ground in my control panel.

Yeah I took a look at some of the pics of Pols rig and others and saw a separate ground bar. I guess this has advantages. Like if you are using a metal box the box will automatically be grounded too. A ground bar is probably a bit cheaper too.

Yes, this is how I have wired my last two rigs. Use the block for HOT, HOT and NEUTRAL then I have a separate grounding bar off to the side.

I think it depends on what your distributing power to.

I was just talking with some other folks about this yesterday. If your only running to heating elements, you don't need the neutral, just the 2 hots and the ground. So a 3 pole distribution block would cover red/black/green or 2 hots and ground.....

Thats the way I undrestand it. Now, if your going to split off to any 110 circuits, you would need that neutral for any of those.

I will def be powering some 110 devices from this so the neutral will be needed for sure.

Looks like two poles that are split into two. Which means that you have two poles that come IN. Then split. Which means each pole has two coming from it. Or 2 x 2 = 4. Seems easy enough. Hope that clarifies it somewhat.

Or are you looking for something like this:

Hot 120 Hot 120
l l
l l
_______
l l l l
l l l l
l l l l

H H H H

Back