Harbor Freight Tools -- What works? and What doesn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that I highly recommend staying away from is their "stainless" steel hose clamp sets. I bought two and they both are horrible. With just moderate tension they rip and they are not stainless. They rust if water is in the same county.

Hf torque wrenches are the same exact ones sold at advance auto for 4x the price just different packaging.... I found them somewhere else too but can't remember if it was pep boys or home depot... I have every size and no issues.

I tend to agree. I always test my torque wrenches. Personally I have their full set. I went through a couple as a few were defective but the ones I have are working fine.

While I can say I have had bad ones, I can also say I know of a few people personally that used them and didn't know what they were doing and blamed the tool. They didn't know what the click felt like and broke a bolt. This was with a fully functioning wrench. How do I know the wrench was fine, it was mine.

I am pretty big into motorcycles and have people stop out from time to time from our club as they need help working on their bikes. Some need more hand holding that others which is fine and I don't mind passing on a skill. There have been a few times were we are working on multiple bikes at the same time or I am off on another task where people have broken stuff. I then take them over to my bench vice and show them what they need to feel for. Not all wrenches will give an audible click. Sometimes you are looking and feeling for a deflection. The 1/4" in-lbs one is a classic example of this. Also it is a known thing with their wrenches that you need to work them through the adjustment range a couple times to distribute the internal grease properly. I do this from time to time and like I said check them on my vice to remind me what I am feeling for with that wrench. Not a bad idea if you have a HF or Snap-On. More so if you don't use them all the time.

Overall I have had pretty good luck there. I have a mix of tools personally.Lots of Craftsman, Bosch, Porter Cable for the heavily used stuff. Some HF stuff mixed in for less used.

I like their magnetic part pans, love the motorcycle lift though I will likely upgrade to a better one later. For $280 it can't be beat when considering a better one would run $1000. Speaking of that lift and since this a HB site, I plan on using that for my brew stand for a while if there are no bikes on it that is.

The pick set (dental style) I bought was trash. The ends would straighten out under the slightest amount of pull. It's like they somehow skipped a hardening step or something at the factory.

I've had decent luck with HF tools.

$20 brad air nailer. Similar model at HD was nearly $100 and I knew I'd only be using it for a one time project. Worked well. Have used a few other times and it always fires regularly.

4 1/2 inch angle grinder and pack of cutting and grinding disks. $30 The grinder came with spare brushes. I've cut a few keggles, and some bed frame (tough steel) plus a few other projects. Brushes still look good. No problems with the thing.

A set of 4 pipe wrenches. $20, I only needed one but a set of 4 was cheaper than the just buying one at the hardware store.
2, Step-bits. $10
A bunch of 6" and 4" C-clamps. They were practically giving them away. work great
Couple of hatchets
Machete

Overall I'm pleased with HF tools.

I have purchased lots of stuff from hf and never had any issues. The sand paper they sell is half the price and just as good.

I think some of their tools are fine, particularly if they are not constantly pressed into service. Some tools I've had luck with:

-Air tools of various kinds
-Step bits (worked great cutting holes in my kettle)
-Corded multitool (I also have a Porter Cable which is nicer, but this one has gotten many jobs done)
-Angle grinder
-IR temp gun

I don't make my living with these tools, but they help around the house.

I agree with the poster above; if I need a tool for a one-off project or limited / sporadic use I'm likely to give HF a try. It if only gets me through the one thing I need it for I'm fine with that.

If, on the other hand, I know the tool in question will be something I will have more use for in future projects I tend to go the opposite direction and buy something that is better than average (perhaps not top of the line, but definitely at the higher end of the scale). I'd rather buy the right tool once than the wrong tool two or three times.

Long story short, most all the crap you buy anymore whether it is from HF, Sears, HD, or Lowes is made in the same factories in China, they may have a few slight differences in them or often times simply have a different color and sticker.

This! If you look close enough and do some research you will find that much of what harbor freight offers is simply rebranded direct from factory products.

They offer a dust collector, lathe, planer, and several other hand tools that are exact in every detail except color/badging to another major name brand like Jet, Rikon, Dewalt, etc.. for MUCH higher prices. So, in reality the price difference is paid toward a manufacturers warranty where 75% of what HF offers can have a warranty too and still cost way less.

However, some of their stuff is complete junk.

Don't forget quality control. It may be made in the same factory but not necessarily to the same standards. Much of their stuff is adequate for the home shop, some of it is actually good, and often it's a roll of the dice. The items are variable in quality and what was good several years ago may not be today.

Don't forget to print out a 25% off coupon. Usually they'll let you keep it for next time too.

Don't forget quality control. It may be made in the same factory but not necessarily to the same standards. Much of their stuff is adequate for the home shop, some of it is actually good, and often it's a roll of the dice. The items are variable in quality and what was good several years ago may not be today.

Don't forget to print out a 25% off coupon. Usually they'll let you keep it for next time too.

I used to think this too but I have compared specific, down to casting flaws, and found the same stuff on both the HF and name brand products. If anything, the name brand "might" do a load test on the products before shelving, but I doubt it.

What I've found is that name brand tools at Lowes and HD see to be lesser quality than those same brands offered at tool dealerships. I wonder if they have "consumer" grade and "pro" grade of the same tool. I have tons of Porter Cable tools that I've purchased (built custom furniture and cabinetry for years) and it is much heavier duty than the crap offered at the big box stores.

As a contractor I will say my used and abused Bostitch air guns, Dewalt saws and whatever else Ive bought at big box stores last. I don't believe the "its off by one digit" sku BS.I went into harbor freight for the first time last week for step bits for my E build.I don't think I would buy any of there tools I need to make a living but HD and Lowes tools are fine.The clientele at HF had a garage sale feel to it...Then again I was there too,so there ya go

I have bought quite a bit from HF. They have sold three more 20 ton presses after others have seen how well mine has held up. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches from them. 1/4" gets used a lot where the 3/8" was only purchased for 6.0 injector hold down bolts (tight space and my Craftsman won't fit in there). Chop saw, hammer drill, mini lathe, drill press, paint guns and other misc stuff. I only have a small set of hand tools from them for emergency use in the camper. I get everything else from Sears. Only thing that I have bought that didn't last from them was a pipe cutter. Went dull on the second piece of copper.

One thing I have heard suggedtsd , is to trade out the hardware on some of the heavy lifting peices for good Grade 5 or 8 hardware.
I have not purchased anything but "disposable" things from HF, but they do the job. (Wire wheels, grinding wheels, dremel tools, etc )

My son bought a 10" compound miter saw from them. Had the Pull addition. Handy. Cost him $89 on sale. I inspected it, decent quality overall. Came with a spare set of brushes for its 15 amp motor

I figure if he uses and abuses it for the 90 day warranty and it holds up. That's a lot of wood cutting and I believe the faults will come out before then or not

I know you need to pick and choose with HF. A person would be naive not to. Me, I love HF. Their gear (I read the reviews before I buy) has never let me down

Take that as my 2 cents

1. Their drill bits suck
2. Impact Sockets are fine
3. Breaker Bars are fine
4. Vibratory Tumblers are fine

1. Their drill bits suck
2. Impact Sockets are fine
3. Breaker Bars are fine
4. Vibratory Tumblers are fine

100% agree. Drill bits do suck ass. Impact and breaker haven't failed me. Tumblers post broke on me though. But I use it for reloading and I think I overloaded it so the rod sheared. Got some threaded rod from Home Depot and repaired it for $5 so I can't complain too much as it keeps chugging along.

Bought the cordless drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw set. I thought I got a great deal for $99. Everything was a piece of junk. In less than a year, the 2 batteries wouldn't hold it's charge and let me cut for about 5 minutes each time. I got mad and threw it all in the trash. Went out and bought the Ryobi set at HD and it's 100% better. Also bought the rotary set and saws for $20 recently to make slits in the copper to make my mash/tun manifold. The thing stopped when it lightly touched the copper. Another POS from HF.

Also bought the rotary set and saws for $20 recently to make slits in the copper to make my mash/tun manifold. The thing stopped when it lightly touched the copper. Another POS from HF.

Rotary or Oscilating? I only ask because my osculating tool which was about $29 from HF, has been my second most abused tool EVER (first is my engine hoist) and still going.

The $20 rotary tool (Dremel) has been replaced twice. Once the same day. Second time was later in the week. The third tool has lasted a couple of years.

Rotary or Oscilating? I only ask because my osculating tool which was about $29 from HF, has been my second most abused tool EVER (first is my engine hoist) and still going.

The $20 rotary tool (Dremel) has been replaced twice. Once the same day. Second time was later in the week. The third tool has lasted a couple of years.

Yeah, it was the cheap dremel tool that they sell for $10 + another $8 for the round saw set. I guess I should've spent a little more for a better one but I figure it would've been a one time use but ended being a no time use.

I got 0 uses out of the dremel as well. Thought I could use it to clean/polish or lightly sand but it's too gutless for even that. You do get a fair amount of accessories with it though, so for the $8 I spent I may still break even.

I bought a $9 right angle die grinder nearly 10 years ago when I was still in A&P school. I've used the heck out of it. For a while I did a lot of sheet metal repairs and mods at work. It still works fine. I also bought the air powered body saw... It sucked.

Another thumbs up for step bits.Bought a 2 pack, 4 holes in stainless and still going,havent even used the other one. 10G extention cord work just fine for my Electric brew setup. Just bought a 13pc impact socket for $19.Lifetime warrenty.Im thinking it will work fine.

Another thumbs up for step bits.Bought a 2 pack, 4 holes in stainless and still going,havent even used the other one.

I thought their step bits were junk. Were unusably dull (and wouldnt resharpen) after 40 holes in mild steel. Brought a proper 40$ unibit and its still strong 100s of holes later.

I bought an 18" Chicago tile saw there that worked great, did 2 bathrooms with it.

We just got a Harbor Freight in our town about a year ago. I've been pretty happy overall with their hand tools, bits, etc.

The best thing that I've bought from them so far is the little airless paint sprayer they sell. It was like $139 with coupon. It did an excellent job on my back deck/rail (which I have lots of) and painting a new steel door.

IMO anything electric from Harbor Freight sucks. Always have to return for a refund and go somewhere else and spend a bit more $$$$.

IMO anything electric from Harbor Freight sucks. Always have to return for a refund and go somewhere else and spend a bit more $$$$.

Meh, blanket statements are rarely true but you did state it as an opinion so no one can argue with it.

I am about 50/50 on their power tools being worth what you pay for them.

That being said, Menards it closer and their tool shop branded stuff is about identical...just normally gray and green instead of red....otherwise even the body of the tool is identical (rotary and osculating tools but also RO sanders). For a $15 dremel knock-off, I usually know in the first 15 minutes of use if it is going to last.

I thought their step bits were junk. Were unusably dull (and wouldnt resharpen) after 40 holes in mild steel. Brought a proper 40$ unibit and its still strong 100s of holes later.
40 holes LOL.I'm talking homebrew.There is lots of talk around here that you "NEED" greenlee bits for the pots,and the HF wont work.You definitely don't need the greenlee was were I was going.

40 holes LOL.I'm talking homebrew.There is lots of talk around here that you "NEED" greenlee bits for the pots,and the HF wont work.You definitely don't need the greenlee was were I was going.

Oh well fine then. Yeah, they drill holes, the steel is just cheap. I buy plenty of harbor freight tools for tools I need once and never again.

Im pretty happy with their heavy duty angle grinder, it has cut many kegs with their disks. Also cut up a bunch of bed frames with it and welded them together using a 100$ toaster arc welder i picked up there. No complaints yet on those 2

Back