Help with automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I am putting together a kit for automating my brewery somewhat. For a controller I will use either a click PLC or a direct logic plc. I have 2 pumps. My current system is all keggles. HLT with herms coil and a couple of extra valves/inlets for recirculating, MKT with false bottom, BK with whirlpool fitting. I have 2 pumps and run everything pretty much manually now. I use 2 gas burners. I do not really want to go electric as I don't have a high current outlet where I need it. I have no problem programming the controls/pumps etc. What I do not have ANY experience with is gas valves and pilot lights. Can someone make a recommendation for those parts and maybe an appropriate thermal couple? I think I am getting those comped and I can get the PLC for practically nothing. I have a couple of good size 24 VDC power supplies so I would prefer 24vdc for valves etc. Once this system is going I will replace all the valves with solenoids. attached is the plumbing schematic. Also is there anything else I should add at this time? I have a decent budget for this project. It also helps that I work for a cnc machinery manufacturer and have access to a lot of cool tools. thanks.

View attachment Brewery.pdf

Should be fine for water but I think the BrewTroller guys have mostly move to automated ball valves because of problems with clogging on the wort lines.

Here's what I have ended up with so far. Bcs462 controller. Already had 2 pumps. I'm sticking with manual valves for now. I really wanted to automate the hlt temp with the gas burners but have yet to find a low pressure regulator for the LP tanks. I did buy he Honeywell gas valves and pilot but I am thinking of using the gas manually to get close then use the bcs with a 2000w 120v heating element just to maintain temp and dumping the auto gas idea. Bought a stand from the local hbs. Pic attached. Is this element large enough? I did not want to put in a special circuit.

image-2398420683.jpg

Back