Ferm chamber heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisjt

Reaction score
I've finished my fermentation chamber and am in need of a heat source. I bought a cheap portable fan heater to plug into my STC-1000 on the heat outlet. The STC is working correctly, I've tested it with good success. My problem is that when I put the fan heater in the chamber and close the door, it doesn't always run when the door is closed and the STC has the heat light on. For instance I plugged it in and left it all night. This morning the temp is at 4* C. It should be somewhere close to 17... The fan runs fun when not inside the chamber.

Just want someone to tell me that it's the fan that is the issue, and that I should go buy a heat lamp. Also what would be the cheapest heat lamp/bulb that you know of?

I had a similar problem and it turned out the the heater auto switched off to prevent it over heating and burning out. Mine was a small heater in closet full of clothes
Buy a heat lamp!!! There someone told you

+1 on the paint can. I have one controlled by the STC1000 and it works awesome. the ferm box is out in my garage, temp is constant, happy brewer. I also have a small USB powered fan to circ the air

...I'm an idiot. Looked at the box the fan heater came in and it clearly reads "Equipped with an internal heat limiting thermostat and overheat protection circuit..."

Question on the bulb in the paint can: Would it be able to warm up my chamber that is at or below freezing? I've got my chamber under my work bench in the garage, and its pretty cold out there currently.

I found an old 6" x 12" heating pad with three temperature settings. Rolled it up and put it in a coffee cup in the corner of my chamber.

I have had great luck with a ceramic lamp for reptile cages. The best thing about them is they give of no light and just screw into a lampholder socket. Most pet stores carry them or they can easily be found on Ebay for a few dollars.

I was thinking the same thing about my ferm chamber, my dad suggested a heat lamp which we just used a 100W incandescent, works just fine. Haven't had any issues with my beer being light-struck since I use buckets.

Back