Chamomile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSean

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Belgian Tripel recipe that calls for dried Chamomile (I think it was 1 or 1.5 oz., but I don't have the recipe in front of me). The LHBS didn't have any (not too surprised), but neither did Whole Foods (more surprising). Has anyone made a beer with Chamomile? Any idea where I might find it? Thoughts on replacements or omitting it?
Thanks.

You can get it at the grocery store. Look for where they sell tea.

I never tried it, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt anything at all because Chamomile tea usually has some variety of Hops in it as well.

Hmm, you think substituting the tea would work then? I don't think Chamomile tea is caffeinated, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good substitute.

I've seen other belgian reciepes with chamomille in them. If your grocery store doesn't have it maybe a spice place would. My wife orders our spices online from Pensey's, they might have it. The online description reads a aromatic flowery herb. Never saw chamomille, but I wouldn't subtitute one of those teas personally.

Goto Lowes/Home Depot and buy a plant. They are cheap, and you will have a good looking plant for the future. You can use it green, just roll/crush the leaves first. If you want to dry it, throw it in the oven on the lowest setting for a few hours.

DSean said:
Hmm, you think substituting the tea would work then? I don't think Chamomile tea is caffeinated, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good Hsubstitute.

I'd try it, but then thats me. I don't know for sure it would work well or anything.

If you look at the ingredients for Chamomile Tea, they usually list Chamomile, Hops, sometimes Valerian.

I might stay away from the "Sleepy Time" variety, because I think it has spearmint - somehow to me that just doesn't sound like it would taste too good with beer, but you never know.

I like that idea about getting a plant, but a pretty big box of Chamomile tea only costs a couple bucks at the grocery, I'd be tempted to try it and use the whole thing. Chamomile has a pretty mild flavor so its unlikely you'll overpower the beer with it.

I'd avoid any tea with valerian, too....put that into hot wort and it will smell like arse. You should be able to find straight chamomile, though....have you tried the spice aisle? It often sold in big dried bunches wrapped in plastic.

Just use the tea. I've used Celestial brand in a Ginger Beer. Worked really well.

The box of Bigelow's tea I have right now says it's 100% Chamomile flowers.

Thanks for the input guys. There's a spice place not too far from me [damn hippies are everywhere], so I'll check that first. If not, then I'll try to find a pure tea. The tea bags are probably easier than straining, actually.

you will have better luck if you look for a natural foods store. They always have whole flower tea. just google natural food store with your city and state

Back