plug and play fermenter temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondside

Reaction score
I am converting a fridge into a fermenter box. I am looking for a thermostat that I can buy that can run the fridge compressor and heat source as temperature dictates. I read about a 2 stage johnson controls a-19 that you plug the fridge into one outlet and the heat into the other, but can only find single stage and youtube instructions on how to build heat control yourself. I have been building this thing (homebrewery) for about 10 months, and now I am tired of building and ready to buy plug and play temp control. Suggestions or links apreciated.

Thanks

I am converting a fridge into a fermenter box. I am looking for a thermostat that I can buy that can run the fridge compressor and heat source as temperature dictates. I read about a 2 stage johnson controls a-19 that you plug the fridge into one outlet and the heat into the other, but can only find single stage and youtube instructions on how to build heat control yourself. I have been building this thing (homebrewery) for about 10 months, and now I am tired of building and ready to buy plug and play temp control. Suggestions or links apreciated.

Thanks

Ranco temp controller, two stage.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282/Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

We are developing one over at BrewGeeks if you can wait. It will be a standalone application that runs on a laptop or computer and talks to modules that turn on/off the cooling and heat source as necessary. It takes wireless temp data using one of these. We aren't selling a kit or anything--just making software to run it. It's all DIY.

The whole deal will be a little more expensive than the ranco controllers because you have to buy two $15 appliance modules and the wireless temp monitor for about $90, but the huge benefit is you can set up a fermentation schedule to begin at say 66deg and rise slowly to 70 over a few days time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea, tknice. But it seems like this is an application where you wouldn't want to go wireless. What happens when the battery on the temperature probe fails? Maybe an alarm could go off, but what if you're out of town?

Cool idea, tknice. But it seems like this is an application where you wouldn't want to go wireless. What happens when the battery on the temperature probe fails? Maybe an alarm could go off, but what if you're out of town?

Thanks tophmck.. yeah, we thought the same thing. Here is the webpage for my sensors that I scrape the data from and it has a battery column that I HOPE will change at some point. :) So far they have all read OK. I'm expecting to see LOW or warning or something soon. http://www.weatherdirect.com/TX60.aspx?&wusid=183726&bxid=2147901275

I've been using 4 of them for about a year in my ferm chamber build and haven't had to change a battery yet.

Makes sense. If you get notice when the battery is low and the wireless link is solid, I guess it's not really an issue. Great website, by the way!

X-10 appliance modules, nice. Have about half a dozen in my X-10 junk box. The wireless temp sensor seems like overkill. Not the wireless part, but the humidity and air pressure capability.

Back