Adding plums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubba

Reaction score
All right, once they are ready from the garden, I'm going to rack my beer on top of some plums. Not sure exactly how much yet.

Now, the question is, how to treat them? When I made plum wine, I just diced them up, removed the kernels, and that worked well. I'll probably have to freeze them first this time, because my 2 trees mature at slightly different points, and might not give enough on their own.

Should I dice them? Crush them? Press them?

Freezing fruit is always a good idea. The freeze/thaw process helps to break down the cell walls, which helps to impart flavors more easily.

Your prep depends on if you're using a bucket or carboy. When I use a carboy, I usually cut it up thin enough to make sure I can fit it thru the neck. In a bucket, I usually just cut it up in which ever way is easiest. I prefer to have smaller pieces so the flavor is able to soak in to the beer more quickly - especially for beers that I'm not aging for long periods of time on fruit - strawberry wheat, peach berliner weisse, etc...

I just prep'd a bushel of peaches today for several batches of Berliner Weisse and I cut them in half, pit them and then cut in to 1/4" slices. Then it's in to freezer bags and right in to the deep freeze until I need them.

Okay, I might just cut them in half and freeze then. It's going to be a pretty long secondary anyway. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back