Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinggirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Well I’ve got my first batch of beer (Brewer’s Best Belgian Tripel) sitting in the primary and I’m ready to start another batch of beer this weekend. My question is, since I know the Belgian I have going will need around 4weeks in the primary, as well as time to age once bottled to help improve on the flavor, I’d like the second beer I brew to require less time fermenting and aging. I know I’m being impatient but....I can’t wait to try my own homebrew :tank: Do any of you know of a Brewer’s Best kit that you think would fit the bill for what I’m looking for? I can tell you that I’m not a “strong hop” kinda woman, so no hopped up to the bunnies hop home kits for me…at least not yet haha. Thanks for the help!

My wife brewed the BB summer ale kit,said to be a Shock Top clone. Comes with zest & spices as well. That one was pretty good. Not very hoppy either. There's a pic of it in my gallery,outside shot too.

Thanks for the replies thus far, unionrdr..nice pics in the gallery! I did find a "recipe" on my local brewing supply store site and I'm wondering if this might fit the bill. Let me know your thoughts and how hard it is to switch from kits to recipes....

Honey Lager
(It’s actually a Lager but we also ferment this with Ale yeast with outstanding results!) ---> I like this part!

1 - 4lb can Alexanders light malt extract

2 - lbs Honey (any kind)

½ lb Crystal Malt 10l (optional)

½ oz Cascade Hops (bittering) 1 hour (6 -- 7 HBU )

½ oz Cascade Hops (finishing) last 3 minutes

Irish Moss - last 15 minutes

WLP 840 American lager yeast or WLP 810 Steam yeast or Safale s-23 dry lager yeast or safale us 05 dry ale yeast
Instructions

If using crystal malt, put in a muslin bag and toss into your brew pot with cool water.Heat to a boil and remove grain. If not using crystal just put water into brew pot and bring to a boil and add the malt and honey. Stir while adding and when it comes back to a boil add the bittering hops and boil for 45 minutes. Add Irish moss and boil 15 more minutes. Then add ½ oz of finishing hops and boil 3 more minutes. Cool to 75 deg. And add yeast.

There was a reply from someone saying they used mt. hood hops sinc their husband doesn't really like 'hoppy' beer. I'm thinking this recipe could work;)

Yeah,that's a pretty simple light pale ale. Some bittering. The arma hop for 3 minutes won't be much,but you did say you don't want it too hoppy,so it'll work. At least give you an idea of the amount of hops that'll work for you.

Back