Best place for honey online? First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
I want to make my first batch of a simple traditional mead and I've decided to use some orange blossom honey, since I seem to hear very good things about this type when making mead without fruit or anything added. I've been reading up on the honey to water volume, but I see conflicting proportions everywhere I go. I want a well balanced mead, not dry, but not super sweet. I was thinking of 15 lbs of honey to make a 5 gallon total volume batch. I want to be around 10 to 11 percent. What would be the best yeast to use to accomplish this, and would 15 lbs be the right amount of honey to use?

Also, I'll be buying the honey online so what websites would be the best to order from for the best price for the quality? I was thinking about getting it from Midwest supplies, since I need some other stuff anyway.

Wow, they are really cheap. Even with shipping I can't imagine they'd even be close to anyone else I've seen. The hawaiian honey they have is kind of interesting though, has anyone ever worked with that before? It's kind of pricey so I doubt I'd go for it but maybe for a future brew.

Also, would the 15 lbs be sufficient for a moderately sweet mead?

I'd go for 18, if I was you, and use a yeast that will not blast past your 11% like a house by the side of the road. You might consider 1056, 58W3 or OPALE.

Ken

Back