What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That'll teach me to vote for Ozzy! Ok, I'm not helpful, it's true.

No hurry on the holy grail, just send it whenever you have the rest of the yeast ready to go. Keep me posted on what you find, though. Did I send you some ECY02 slurry? I just dumped a ton of it down the drain, but that was from a 1.092 beer and the 2nd or 3rd gen so probably not in very good shape. On the straight brett stuff, yes, just banking and looking at to see how dirty I am. The small vial (I think) should have three different brett strains.

Did I tell you I think some guys from my club are going to hook me up with some more stir plates, maybe a microscope, possibly a hood as well as other lab gear? :D

Thats fantastic, get yourself a little lab set up!

I honestly don't remember exactly what you sent me, I know the small vial was a brett blend, I don't recall which ones. I'm balancing too many plates right now to keep numbers and letters straight.

So far from what I've plated, I've only noticed a tiny bit of stuff that shouldn't have been there, one of which was a sacc strain in a brett plate, but I imagine most brewers have a fair amount of sacc floating around their kitchen.

what kind of scope? I mean I know beggers cant be choosers, but I'm curious about these things.

Also, when storing plates of yeast, you do know to store them upside down right? Keeps the condensation from dripping down onto your samples.

With the holy grail do you want the sacc separated from the lacto? I mean obviously that can be done but if its just the 2 things there, I think it would make more sense to keep them together because any change in environment will cause them to act differently, and the ratio is crucial as Im sure you know, because the original strain was a blend correct?

To stay on topic, Im drinking coffee with a splash of whiskey fighting this cold with grandpas medicine.

staticmap

Furthermore Fallen Apple
Milwaukee
A pale ale style beer with a subtle ripened green apple taste!

image-4134516904.jpg

At my homebrew clubs octoberfest. There is no way I can keep up with everything I'm going to "sample", got some local breweries here too. Just had a simcoe and citra dry hopped cask blonde from Four Peaks.

ForumRunner_20131019_125523.jpg

you're going to let that infected batch ride out right?

I have a batch of Cougar Country IPA in bottles 8 days today. The Maori IPA that got infected was checked yesterday & I'm giving it till tomorrow morning to see if the reactivated yeast settles out or not. I can only hope it does...but I'm def not getting my hopes up. Idkidkidkidkidk....:confused::(

Bomber of my Heady Flopper DIPA

Definitely not a session beer.
image-173771177.jpg

I have a batch of Cougar Country IPA in bottles 8 days today. The Maori IPA that got infected was checked yesterday & I'm giving it till tomorrow morning to see if the reactivated yeast settles out or not. I can only hope it does...but I'm def not getting my hopes up. Idkidkidkidkidk....:confused::(

Where is the gravity at? if it levels out why not bottle it? Its not going to explode if the yeast/bacteria is done its done. rack from under the pellicle/mold, and give it a taste in a few weeks, and if it sucks, give it a taste in a couple of months if it still sucks, well you can decide then what to do with it. :mug:

Mr. Pib right now but does any one got
Nizzles number or email. In makin his hard root beer recipe and not sure if he makes a starter for the wlp001 yeast or just throws it in out the tube. Or if any one knows best way for me to do it would be great. He said to boil DME lactose and I think brown sugar for 30 mins then cool to pitching temps any suggestions welcomed

Where is the gravity at? if it levels out why not bottle it? Its not going to explode if the yeast/bacteria is done its done. rack from under the pellicle/mold, and give it a taste in a few weeks, and if it sucks, give it a taste in a couple of months if it still sucks, well you can decide then what to do with it. :mug:

On 10/12,it was stable at 1.015. Still very misty & I thought I'd give it more time to settle. by the time I dry hopped it & it went a few days the pellicle came back after I'd skimmed & sprayed with Starsan. Yesterday it measured 1.012. I really hate to get that lacto crud in my bottling bucket,bottling wand & racking tube. All to save a beer that might not be salvable...?...

So far from what I've plated, I've only noticed a tiny bit of stuff that shouldn't have been there, one of which was a sacc strain in a brett plate, but I imagine most brewers have a fair amount of sacc floating around their kitchen.

Cool. I do my best, but good to hear that's pretty good.

what kind of scope? I mean I know beggers cant be choosers, but I'm curious about these things.

I have no idea. I sent him a follow up email after our last club meeting, but I'll probably not hear back from him or find anythig out until next time I see him.

Also, when storing plates of yeast, you do know to store them upside down right? Keeps the condensation from dripping down onto your samples.

I did not know that, but I do now. Thanks!

With the holy grail do you want the sacc separated from the lacto? I mean obviously that can be done but if its just the 2 things there, I think it would make more sense to keep them together because any change in environment will cause them to act differently, and the ratio is crucial as Im sure you know, because the original strain was a blend correct?

It is is a blend. I am unsure how many components the blend has. I don't know if it's just sacc/lacto or if it also contains pedio or brett, though I;m inclined to say it shouldn't. As I understand, the brewery would just keep repitching the blend and when it became too heavy on the lacto, they would wash it in a 2.1ph acid solution for 45 minutes. I'll have to find my source on that as I can't recall the strength or type of acid or the exact numbers.

Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin ... with an Oktberfest buffet that is better than I expected it would be.

Careful with that. I think too much German food leads to making insulting trade offers in FF. :cross:

Having some water and then some more BdC. Just picked up another 100 lbs of maters, so we should be good on those for the year.

Next on the agenda is bottling and racking a couple more batches.

1fast636 said:
Mr. Pib right now but does any one got
Nizzles number or email. In makin his hard root beer recipe and not sure if he makes a starter for the wlp001 yeast or just throws it in out the tube. Or if any one knows best way for me to do it would be great. He said to boil DME lactose and I think brown sugar for 30 mins then cool to pitching temps any suggestions welcomed

I would almost always make a starter for liquid yeast. Fuzzymittens sent me the recipe a couple of months back. Here's what he had sent me if it clears up any questions you may have.

image-3882988013.jpg

On 10/12,it was stable at 1.015. Still very misty & I thought I'd give it more time to settle. by the time I dry hopped it & it went a few days the pellicle came back after I'd skimmed & sprayed with Starsan. Yesterday it measured 1.012. I really hate to get that lacto crud in my bottling bucket,bottling wand & racking tube. All to save a beer that might not be salvable...?...

If you want to take someone's word for it, if you sanitize and clean your bottling bucket and equipment there is nothing to worry about with passing on another infection.

I missed a few pages so not sure exactly what you have done.

If it was mine, I'd siphon it back into the brew pot. Heat that to 140f. Cool, and repitch the yeast.

While the pot was heating/cooling I'd thorough clean and sanitize everything that's touched that batch. If I wasn't sure if something had or not, I'd clean and sanitize it anyway.

TNGabe said:
& Dirty at that! I'm guessing that's less than $6.50 for an 8oz pour. That's what got me so pissed. The place I was at talks themselves up as some sort of beer mecca and then serves saison in one of those for 81 cents an oz. :mad:

At least in this case I had the bottle so I know what I got, but you're right - glass is not clean.

Back