OOOO that Smell can't you Smell that Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundForBeer

Reaction score
So I got a collection of yeast slurry from a guy I bought some equipment off of on craigslist he was getting out of the hobby (threw in the slurry's for free). The guy said he use to just pitch the old slurry. He did not wash the yeast just jarred the slurry. I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it till yesterday. I noticed all the jars where under quite a bit of pressure. I let them warm up a little shook them up and when cracked them open it foamed up and wow what a smell came out. My question is do you think these are lost causes? I am new to washing so I am really not sure what it is supposed to smell like being that they where slurry's. Also don't even really know what strains they are. Marked..London Ale... Trappist....Cream ale. What are your thoughts?

Probably not worth using the slurries since you have no idea how old they are or how they were cared (or weren't cared for) by the other dude. At least you got some jars that you could wash/rinse future yeast with.

Probably not worth using the slurries since you have no idea how old they are or how they were cared (or weren't cared for) by the other dude. At least you got some jars that you could wash/rinse future yeast with.

Kinda what I was thinking at this point. At least I got some mason jars out of it.

Not to mention... who knows what in those slurrys. I don't trust anyone enough to buy yeast slurrys on Craigslist.

Back