Room for a Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
The Room under my porch is about 45 degrees right now. It is seperated from the rest of my basement by a thick block wall.

My questions is this: can i brew in that room even though there is no vent or window that can be opened?

I am using a propane burner.

The room is obviously not well insulated, does this mean that most harmful fumes will escape up through the porch?

I think i already know the answer but i am freaking out and am ready to brew but it is 8 whole degrees here today with a windchill of -12.

I feel your pain--I'm planning to brew this weekend, too, and it's supposed to be pretty nasty here as well.

But I would not use my propane burner indoors, period. I huddle in the garage when it's cold.

Make sure someone checks on you and can "wake" you up when they find you passed out 2 hours in. Bad, bad idea!

I have the carmel cream on tap but it is going fast.....................................damn it all. i could go out to my parents house and use there garage, it is attached so should be a bit warmer than my unattached, BUT, there is an attic above theirs so no vents in the ceiling. Would it be unsafe to brew in there as well?

I do not want my fear of running out of tap beer realized. I also would like to avoid death :drunk:

You could brew there with the door open; it'll still be cold, but you'd be out of the wind. And, you could run inside to get warmed up once you got through the hot break.

Roof framing is usually dry and roofing systems are oftem made of tar, etc. All these things = very flammable! Plus, what if there is an attic spill? New ceiling for Ma and Pa!!! I really hate to be a brewing killjoy here but I don't like this option either! Sorry man!

......Assuming unfinished attic.....

EDIT:
Moron alert Moron Alert!!!! I re-read your post and if you are talking about brewing IN the garage that is 100% cool! For whatever reason I was picturing you doing this in an attic....I should have read more carefully!!!!!!

Reverend JC said:
The Room under my porch is about 45 degrees right now. It is seperated from the rest of my basement by a thick block wall.

My questions is this: can i brew in that room even though there is no vent or window that can be opened?

I am using a propane burner.

The room is obviously not well insulated, does this mean that most harmful fumes will escape up through the porch?

I think i already know the answer but i am freaking out and am ready to brew but it is 8 whole degrees here today with a windchill of -12.

Put a coat on and turn your burner up...and grow some cojones. I've brewed in the cold and rain before. There is very little that can keep me from my planned session---SWMBO has to do with most of that. For example, I was going to start my Wee Heavy last friday as early as possible, as soon as I got home. But...SWMBO had...other ideas :D Needless to say, I didn't start my mash until 8:30, and thus, didn't get to sleep till 3am. Ugh. But it was worth it...

Evan! said:
Put a coat on and turn your burner up...and grow some cojones. I've brewed in the cold and rain before. There is very little that can keep me from my planned session---SWMBO has to do with most of that. For example, I was going to start my Wee Heavy last friday as early as possible, as soon as I got home. But...SWMBO had...other ideas :D Needless to say, I didn't start my mash until 8:30, and thus, didn't get to sleep till 3am. Ugh. But it was worth it...

Roflmao. You know, I was thinking about brewing tonight after teh wife goes to bed. I dunno if I wanna deal with getting up early tomorrow though. Maybe I'll just postpone till Sunday. But man, I need to brew. I NEED IT MAN.

ROFLMAO..................Brewing in the attic..................................Wow, SWMBO already says the neighbors are going to think i am cooking meth with all of my converted keggles and counterflow chiller....................................that is just funny!:drunk:

First off, all that heat from brewing and the steam will warm up your garage.

Second: $35 buys a decent space heater. Every single person in this forum talking about brewing obviously has $35 to spend on something useful (like an aeration stone).

Cheese, thanks for the input.....................................................

Yeah i have a space heater that i am going to be using, and i will end up going over to my parents house with it. My garage is not insulated at all..........1920 model with siding and no isulation. I will be fixing that so next winter i do not have this problem.

The issue with my parents garage is that it is a 4 stall and i think i may need 5 space heaters to warm that ***** up.

SO, my solution is to sack up, put on long drawers and brew on my friends.

Reverend JC said:
Cheese, thanks for the input.....................................................

Yeah i have a space heater that i am going to be using, and i will end up going over to my parents house with it. My garage is not insulated at all..........1920 model with siding and no isulation. I will be fixing that so next winter i do not have this problem.

The issue with my parents garage is that it is a 4 stall and i think i may need 5 space heaters to warm that ***** up.

SO, my solution is to sack up, put on long drawers and brew on my friends.

It doesn't matter if it's insulated - it will keep the wind off of you and that's the key thing. Once your burner gets going, it will warm up quite a bit. Add a space heater and you should be golden

Back