I wish I had done Organic Chem while I was a brewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_brewer

Reaction score
I understand all of the fermenting at certain temps produces esters and the like, but I bet I would have a better intrinsic understanding of all of that if my organic was a lot fresher in my mind. I did the course a good 6 years ago and feel like I would benefit from digging out my old textbooks (had I not sold them.)

I really have to pick up a copy of Palmer's book (it does cover this right?) I have gone through the online version a bit, but with my internet connection, and the fact that I have bandwidth limitations I really can't get very far in it.

Feel free to contribute any thoughts you like... I know I haven't asked a question... but that is more since this is an observation of ignorance...

Essentially fermentation is husbandry at it's most minute and basic level. You are cultivating an infection of yeast in an environment suitable to it's proliferation over other microscopic eukaryotic organisms and prokaryotic bacteria.

In other words beer is "healthy yeast" poop.

I come from a humanities background, but I have been working for a small chemical company as office administrator for 5 years. Without a doubt it is this experience that has made these last two years as a homebrewer so very enjoyable. I don't feel intimidated by chemistry issues in brewing, and exposure to a commercial production laboratory has given me all the knowledge and confidence I need for brewing.

I feel like all O-Chem would remind you of is WHAT an ester really is, (here's your answer), as well as understanding what fusels, (which should be spelled "fusol", IMHO), etc. are. The real key to all this is understanding the various metabolic pathways in the yeast that lead to the production of various esters preferentially at higher temperatures....which i think would be a rather specific biology course, not chemistry.

I think O-Chem helps you lots with biodiesel "brewing" but Bio is your man for beer brewing ;-).

If you are still interested, however, here's a pretty metabolic map...
http://pathway.yeastgenome.org/YEAST/new-image?type=OVERVIEW

Thank you, lady brewer, for making this observation. I have a hard copy of Palmer's "How to Brew," and for me it raises more questions about the chemistry of brewing than it answers. I have been out of school for a long, long time, and am now reading my daughter's college chemistry textbook to get greater understanding of the processes involved in both mashing and fermentation.

Anyway, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one whose interest in chemistry has been revived by my hobby.

Glad I am not the only one and thanks for the links! I am always appreciative that this place can provide both answers and fuel for more questions!

Back