Golding Hops: East Kent vs. Styrian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy hops in bulk from Hops Direct and know that my recipes need Golding Hops. I generally use East Kent for Brown ale and Irish red but I'm going to be brewing a few belgians (tripel and dubbel) and they call for Styrian.

What differences can I expect? Should I go with the EKG or the Styrian?

They're both great. LOADS of Belgians use Styrian Goldings, which is not actually a type of Goldings, but is a Fuggle grown in Slovenija. If I were making Belgians I would opt for Styrian Goldings myself but they're both fantastic hops. EKGs are earthier, Styrian Goldings are more like Fuggles, floral etc. I had a beer in Slovenija about a month ago that was a heavily hoppy beer with Styrian Goldings and it was fantastic.

I had a bunch of beers at the Great British Beer Festival that used Styrian Goldings too. I like to have both on hand. If you're familiar with Fuggles, use Styrian Goldings as you would Fuggle. They're not exactly the same but in the same family.

You can find more info on these and other hops here:

ProBrewer.com: Hop Data

Back