Looking for a turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish1225

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time no see!

I'm looking to finally get a turkey fryer so I can do all-grain batches larger than 2 gallons on my stove.

I'd like to get a pot somewhere from 32-40 quarts - good size you think? I'd like to do batches somewhere between 6-8 gallons and think a 40qt pot would offer enough headroom to prevent boil overs for an 8 gallon batch...

Also, is Bayou Classic the company to go with? I did a quick search and most of the threads I found were in regards to Bayou.

And lastly, is it feasible to plan to spend about $100 on a 32-40 qt pot and decent propane heater?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I paid around $50 for mine- a turkey fryer set up with a decent burner and a 32 QT pot. The pot is a bit small, since I like to start with 6.5 gallons and boil down to 5.5, but if I'm very careful I don't get any boilovers. If you're planning on anything bigger than a 5 gallon batch, the 32 quart pot would be too small. A 40 quart pot might be fine for slightly bigger batches.

I'm using a 34 qt, and I'm of the opinion its borderline for 5g batches. If I was going to spend the cash again, I'd buy a 60/80qt one. That way you never have to buy a pot again.

I bought a 20qt one when I started in december, bought the 34 quart in june, and may replace it with something bigger in the next couple of months.

Pick up a sanke keg and convert it. you'll never need another boil pot....EVER...

As far as a step up from indoor stovetop brewing, my turkey fryer with ~7G pot was worth every penny. Sure, it might not be able to make the jump to 10G, but it was $55 . I'm out on the patio, and packing 5G of beer into bottles when everything is all done. Brewing has improved greatly for me with it :)

Alright, so rethinking, I'm looking at this kit

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Home & Garden

Seems decent enough, and there are actually some reviews from homebrewers.

I did more thinking and I'd like to start kegging in the next few months, too. So I figured I wouldn't necessarily need batches larger than 5 gallons to start kegging, so a 30qt pot should be adequate.

Good decision?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so rethinking, I'm looking at this kit

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Home & Garden

Seems decent enough, and there are actually some reviews from homebrewers.

I did more thinking and I'd like to start kegging in the next few months, too. So I figured I wouldn't necessarily need batches larger than 5 gallons to start kegging, so a 30qt pot should be adequate.

Good decision?

What I don't like about the burner is that top lip that extends above the kettle. You would probably have to make some modifications if you wanted to use a larger pot.

For what it's worth, the 3 turkey fryers I have I paid less than 30$ each at a store. I think they were on clearance... they included a 32qt alum pot and stand. Well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't like about the burner is that top lip that extends above the kettle. You would probably have to make some modifications if you wanted to use a larger pot.

For what it's worth, the 3 turkey fryers I have I paid less than 30$ each at a store. I think they were on clearance... they included a 32qt alum pot and stand. Well worth it.

I have that same unit and it also takes my 60-gal aluminum pot just fine. It rests on the circular band. When full of water, it is not going anywhere.

When I moved from stovetop to outside I started with two turkey fryers purchased new outside of turkey frying season for $10 each. They included 30qt (7.5 gallon) aluminum pots. I recently received a birthday gift of a 60qt aluminum pot from Sam's Club that retails for $45.88 before shipping.

I bought that same kit when I started all grain. It's just ok IMO, the pot is way too small for boils but is great for an HLT. I moved up to a 50qt aluminum pot and that burner couldn't bring 8 gallons of water to a boil, So i wound up buying an SQ14. It actually worked out pretty good for me, because when I build my 3 tier(Someday) I'll have just about everything I need. If you just want to get by, then the kit will work and you will still be able to put it to good use if you decide to upgrade. If you want a good boil and not worry about boilovers, get a bigger pot and burner now. Boilovers irritate the hell out of me, so when I went with bigger equipment, brewdays became much more enjoyable.

Bringing up an old topic, but I need some answers.

Menard's deep fryer

Looks like this 30 quart fryer comes with a spout at the bottom, has anyone had any experience with these? I am guessing I would need to create some sort of false bottom with a stainless steel braid ala the MLT cooler. I thought for $64 it would be a great start for AG brewing! Thanks everyone!

I have a 30-quart aluminum fryer, all from Academy sports. The kettle is quite borderline for 5-gallon full-boil batches, but I make do. They burner was only $20. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the $40 stainless steel burner, because the $20 on is a bit flimsy. They both have the same burner.

Back