Ring around the bottle top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I've got a case of empties that I rinsed out a while back, but I've noticed they all have rings around the inside. Some seem to have a little residue all over the inside. Does this mean the previous beer was infected? Should I not reuse these bottles? TIA guys,

monk

An overnight soak in oxyclean followed by a bottle brush will take care of it.

Sanaitize and bottle as usual with no worries.

Alright, that's what I like to hear. I've got them soaking in some bleach water tonight, and I'll make sure to give them a nice brushing. Thanks for the info, guys!

Yeah scrub those mothers out. I've bottled a batch that I neglected to do so in. None of the bottles carbonated and some grew some awesome black mold in the bottoms...

Lesson learned. I oxy -> hot water -> sanitizer and hang dry every bottle i use nowadays.

Cool. I soaked them over night and gave them a quick hit with the bottle brush today...clear as a bell. Incidentally, Charlie P gives the same advice in Joy of HBing...soak in bleachy water overnight. I bought a little tub today for $5 and think I'll put my bottles in there, as I empty them. That way they'll always be ready to go.

HB99, thanks for the FYI...I was wondering about this myself, cuz I know those beers couldn't have been too infected. They tasted fine, after all.

You're welcome.

If you rinse out your bottles a couple of times right after emptying them you really don't need to do much more.

I pour hot water in them (about 1/2 way at most) and give a shake or two, pour, add more water, shake again, pour out, check for rings.

If it has a ring it goes in box/tree 1. They get a soak and a brushing.

If not, they're clean. Simple. When I go to fill them all I do is sanitize them.

Get yourself a bottle tree. I have 2 of them.

Back