Good warm weather football brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
Any ideas on a good warm weather football brew that I can keg and take to tailgating? Tailgating for the Gamecocks is usually a 85-95 degree 5 hour affair. Need something that'll go down smooth in the heat, but won't get people too bombed early on.

Oh, and no wheat beers. I love them, but others tailgating don't.

The thing that comes to mind for me is a lawnmower beer. Maybe a cream ale? Low ABV, light and easy drinking. Kind of like corona, except with flavor. :D

Well, I was going to suggest a wit, but if you've got a bunch of EACs that won't drink it...

Maybe a blonde, or APA?

Lil' Sparky said:
Well, I was going to suggest a wit, but if you've got a bunch of EACs that won't drink it...

Maybe a blonde, or APA?

Well, after reading another thread, I've got an idea. I'll brew 3-4 batches of a wit, or hefe. Rack the first into my bucket, then the other 2-3 into carboys or other buckets. As soon as the first is done and racked into a keg, move one onto the cake. I've been wondering how I'm going to have a keg ready for each of the 7 home games in 3 months.

neckbone said:
Well, after reading another thread, I've got an idea. I'll brew 3-4 batches of a wit, or hefe. Rack the first into my bucket, then the other 2-3 into carboys or other buckets. As soon as the first is done and racked into a keg, move one onto the cake. I've been wondering how I'm going to have a keg ready for each of the 7 home games in 3 months.

I was going to suggest the APA since weat beers are out, but it sounds like you have a plan.

When you say gamecocks I assume you're talking about USC. Are you going to make the road trip to Baton Rouge for the LSU game?

neckbone said:
The Blue Balls Belgian (see my sig below) gets pretty good reviews here on the forum and is regularly requested at my house.

Comes in around 3.8% and is real crisp, slightly spicy and refreshing.

LSUGrad00 said:
When you say gamecocks I assume you're talking about USC. Are you going to make the road trip to Baton Rouge for the LSU game?

Yep, USC all the way. Probably won't make the trip this year. We just had a baby a couple weeks ago. I'll be lucky to make it to all the home games this year. I'm definately going to try to make it down there next time we play.

Don't you need something potent to be able to sit thru an entire Cocks game??? :)

At one time, yes. But, not now. We'll be competing for the SEC East this year.

Glad to see another gamecock on the board! i am an alumni from 90 (B.A.) and 93 (M.A.T.) i am brewing a red for tailgaiting at the first home game! congrats on the kid...get a pic of him with a beer bottle for future blackmail! :mug:

Just so we're clear.
When REAL football is played.
The weather is crisp and cold and wet and many times icy.

not the beer.

Badger Badger Badger!

Back