Messed up a Founders BS clone...input needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Last Sunday I brewed a Founders Breakfast Stout clone. Problem #1 is that my efficiency was off. OG was supposed to be 1.078 but I wound up with 1.060. Wasn't so worried...it'll still drink. Right? :D

Just now I was taking a shower and doing a mental inventory of the hops I have on hand (I'm a wierdo). Then it hit me that I have Willamette on hand and I shouldn't. The Willamette was supposed to be used in my brew.

So, I did a bittering addition of Nugget (1.1oz of 12.2% @ 60). For whatever reason, I forgot the Willamette:

.5oz @ 30
.5oz @ 0

What should I do? Since the gravity is lower than expected, would the 30 minute addition not matter as much? When I rack to secondary, think I should dry hop with some Willamette?

I'm feeling pretty stupid right about now. I guess that's what I get for having a few drinkies with a friend while brewing. :tank:

rdwhahb. it will end up just fine. willamette is a somewhat subtle noble-ish hop and won't really be missed since you're adding coffee which will bitter the beer and consequently be a bit more noticable since there's 1/2oz less hops to hide it. maybe you wanna start soaking oak chips in bourbon to make a KBS clone & hide any evidence of missing hop addition from your beer geek friends :D

Back