Marking bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
I'm curious how people are marking their bottles to track which batch is in each. With 3 or 4 on the go, it's pretty easy to mix them up once they're in the fridge.

With glass bottles and crown caps, I've been using a sharpie to mark the cap. With PET bottles, different colour elastics around the necks because I reuse the caps, and don't want to mark them up.

Any other ideas?

I don't bottle much any more, but I'm somewhat graphically inclined so what I did was buy sheets of 1" round label stickers and I'd print a logo for the beer on the sticker sheets. They're a hair bigger than the bottle caps themselves but close enough for government work, and for me it was more fun than using a sharpie.

I just sharpiecapped my first batch. I'll probably just continue to do that for a while. Maybe down the line a bit, I'll make some labels when I'm gifting, but not until I'm sure I've got a decent brew to slap it on!

Painter's tape and a sharpie.

Like this :)

beer42.jpg

Dollar store has 'labels' that are small round stickers....about 5 or 6 different colors in each package, and there's always the white ones too...i use them, or just a sharpie.

Little white circle stickers from Staples. Sometimes I can talk the wife into printing me out some... But usually.... I keep my bottled brews in beer cases. I write on the case with a sharpie..(Date and brew). When I rotate a couple to the fridge (take one out...put one in...I keep about 3 of each in the beer fridge...) I just ID them with a sharpie on the cap......

Different colored caps. I usually rotate between four or so different colors.

If I have two different styles with the same colored cap, I'll just put an "X" on the one with the fewest bottles left.

I used to make lots of labels, but that was when I was playing on my laptop instead of paying attention in class. Also, it's a pain to remove labels when you re-use bottles.

If I end up labeling again, it will just be for special batches I give out as gifts.

Different colored caps. I usually rotate between four or so different colors.

If I have two different styles with the same colored cap, I'll just put an "X" on the one with the fewest bottles left.

I used to make lots of labels, but that was when I was playing on my laptop instead of paying attention in class. Also, it's a pain to remove labels when you re-use bottles.

If I end up labeling again, it will just be for special batches I give out as gifts.

The other thing about labels is that they come off in ice. I know.. "icing your fine beer!" but when I have 150 drunks at a party I don't have room in the fridge or enough kegs.

When i bottle, I mark the cap with a sharpie. For the fridge, I keep them in rows and put masking tape at the front of the row. seems easy enough and works for me.

Avery, 1" round labels for the caps. 600 to a pack for about $5.

The template is downloadable and links to WORD. You can get a couple of lines on there. I usually have enough room for the batch number, name, OG/FG and alcohol %...then print them out... ;)

Sharpiecapper here too. It has it's pitfalls, though. I made some cider with cherry juice concentrate in it, and went a little overboard on the dextrose... I think it ended up around 9 or 10% alcohol. I labeled the bottles "CC" for cherry cider, of course.

I came home from work one day to find my fiance drunk as a skunk... turns out she had two bottles of the cider, thinking that they were for her... since CC are her initials. :)

Just make sure you remember what all your abbreviations stand for once you have a bunch of batches sitting around!

Labeling is great if you're into it. I really enjoy designing labels. I realized a long time ago that I never actually labeled bottles, but still design a label for each batch. I keg now though so only have to print and apply one label.

Tx for all the feedback folks!

As I said in the OP, the sharpie is fine for crown caps, but I don't want to mark the plastic lids that go on the PET bottles...to hard to erase for re-use. Plus, it doesn't work for Grolsch bottles.

I can certainly see myself going with the painter's tape now, because it's quick and dirty, but I like the options of the various stickers that are available. My gf works at a library, and they have a bunch of different coloured dots they put on the books to show that they've circulated. They're pretty small, around 1/4" diameter. I'll just make up a chart relating colour to batch. If you can't read it anymore, you probably don't care what you're drinking anyways!:tank:

sharpies didnt always show up for me so i use some paint pens... probably works no better than a sharpie but i have more paint pens lying around

Hell yeah it is. Sticks even after the bottles get wet with condensation, yet cleanly peels right off for washing.

I reuse glass bottles with new caps, and keep track of batches by number and simply write that number on the cap with a sharpie. Underline 6s and 9s.

Back