my first recipe, need opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
ok ive got my first brew under my belt and i want to make my wife a beer as a way of saying thanks for allowing me to hijack her kitchen for an afternoon a week:)

i want a cream ale, similar to a bmc(its my wife, im working on her but she still likes the crap;)) ive never done any recipe making before, but brewsmith is a kickass program:rockin:

so please be blunt with my recipe, i cant learn if i dont know what im doing wrong, beersmith says its within the limits for creamales, and an important question, i want it to be a little sweet, what do i need to add to do this, also when do i add the strawberries to ge thte best strawberry flavor?

4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 57.14 %
1.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
4.00 lb strawberries (Secondary 5.0 days)

Cream ales tend toward the sweet. It's a function of the style.

I presume you're going to partial-mash the pale malt and flaked maize; it's absolutely necessary. If you're on the fence about it, look up DeathBrewer's easy stovetop partial mash thread. Simple as eating pie.

Ferment this with a very clean ale yeast like S-05 or Nottingham.

I'd put the fruit through at least three freeze-thaw cycles before adding the pulp to the secondary for a week or so.

Looks good!

Bob

thanks for the input, i was planning on a partail mash, and that walkthrough is quite helpfull

Back