Hooray Hooray! It's a Hoppy day!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I love my hops! Sadly, as some of you may know I can not always enjoy them.

:(

My Taste buds are working (mostly) today though! Yeah!

Had a Rogue Yellow Snow and a most disappointing Mcneill's Champ ale. I wanted more hops! Went down to the brew room and realized I had no such beers. I just brewed up a 10 gallon batch of my Bitter ole' Woodchuck on Saturday and it was POTENT! Got a little carried away with my homegrown hops and the hydro sample was perhaps the most bitter tasting brew I have made thus far. Alas, I most wait. So I ran to the package store and got a bottle of Bastard and a DFH 90 minute. Probably should have gotten that exquisitely delicate and understated brew Ruination too... oh well.

Anyway, I am happy. A bit druchisk and thought I would share.

:drunk:

:mug:

I was brewing today (a "chocolate mole'" porter with mexican chocolate, chili powder and cayenne pepper) all the while slugging down uber hoppy 2-hearted ale, and wishing my cascade IPA was ready yet...I guess it would get closer to being ready if I bottles the damn thing...between that and the Argentinian Cascade/MO SMaSH, I should be set for happy hoppy days in 3 weeks...

Me likey the hops too!!!

Revvy:

I'm making a very similar brew probably this weekend. Planning (so far) to make a PM London Porter with a healthy addition of ancho chili. Hoping to get the nice chili aroma and light level of spice with the subtle raisin flavor of the dried anchos.

Hope yours (and mine) comes out well. I know these chili beers can be a bit tricky to balance the hops/spice.

i did a harvest ale from a friends hops that is definetly a little on the bitter side

edit: did ya enjoy all those ss beers yet?

Yum. Two Hearted is Awesome! Thankfully I got some in my SS stash! Had not had it in a while.

The mole porter sounds really good. I love mole. I love peppers. I used to think hot pepper beer did not sound good until I started thinking about the Mayan drink xocoatl, and a thread on here about Aztec imperial stout. Let us know how it goes. I made a chocolate porter once using bakers chocolate and cocoa. It was pretty funky in a not very good funky way.

Oh yeah and HOPS RULE!

edit: did ya enjoy all those ss beers yet?

Hell yeah!

Thanks again! I am no longer a paying member sadly... :(
So I have not been able to check in to the swap threads.

I loved them! I was really stoked to see Arcadia beers down in MA last week. I had never seen them before you sent me some. That is why I snapped up the Cereal Killer, cause the ones you sent were mighty fine. I totally dug the Hopmouth, speaking of hoppy brews...

Revvy:

I'm making a very similar brew probably this weekend. Planning (so far) to make a PM London Porter with a healthy addition of ancho chili. Hoping to get the nice chili aroma and light level of spice with the subtle raisin flavor of the dried anchos.

Hope yours (and mine) comes out well. I know these chili beers can be a bit tricky to balance the hops/spice.

My homemade chili powder is a mix of ancho, pasillo, red chile, and smoked and regular paprika...(the chili powder and chocolate went in the mash, with a little bit more chocolate and a 1sp of cayenne going in a flameout.) My lips are still tingling from drinking my hydrometer sample.

And surprisingly the IPA's are not cutting through the cayenne on the lips...I only have 2 left in the sixpack....

My homemade chili powder is a mix of ancho, pasillo, red chile, and smoked and regular paprika...(the chili powder and chocolate went in the mash, with a little bit more chocolate and a 1sp of cayenne going in a flameout.) My lips are still tingling from drinking my hydrometer sample.

Oooooohhhh! Sounds yummy!

My GERD is making me hiccup just reading that but I want, I want!!!

Oooooohhhh! Sounds yummy!

My GERD is making me hiccup just reading that but I want, I want!!!

LOL...I was just thinking (or should I say feeling) the same thing and wondering if a pepsid complete is in order...It's not overly spicy...and it should be pretty mellow come bottling time...I really wasn't pushing for in your face spiciness, just something like a the xocoatl we made in Elementary school...not too spicy....

Hey do you find that hoppy beers kick up the heartburn as well?

I've been noticing it if drink a lot of uber ipa's I tend to get major heartburn...like what the two hearted and the cayenne is suddenly kicking up....:mad::D

Heartburn and hops, not so much... I think... Hops and nexxium (among other unfortunate medications) not so good. Medications are the cause of my tastebud troubles... :(

I have wicked GERD, inherited. I still love the hot stuff. My current favorite breakfast is a bowl of polenta with salsa and siracha with a few dashes of habenero sauce.

Heartburn and hops, not so much... I think... Hops and nexxium (among other unfortunate medications) not so good. Medications are the cause of my tastebud troubles... :(

I have wicked GERD, inherited. I still love the hot stuff. My current favorite breakfast is a bowl of polenta with salsa and siracha with a few dashes of habenero sauce.

ya now you have me thinking of a hoppy habenero beer

dammm you

:rockin:

...Had a Rogue Yellow Snow and a most disappointing Mcneill's Champ ale...

I used to LOVE McNeill's... Was always a pit stop of mine going up north for skiing, hiking, camping, etc... Last time I hit their brewery in Brattleboro I was afraid they were closing. Just had that vibe and the beer was not what it once was.

Are they still in business?

I used to LOVE McNeill's... Was always a pit stop of mine going up north for skiing, hiking, camping, etc... Last time I hit their brewery in Brattleboro I was afraid they were closing. Just had that vibe and the beer was not what it once was.

Are they still in business?

Yes they are. Just expanded to a bigger brewery as well. Supposedly going to be distributing bottles farther. Too bad the product they will be distributing is not what it was. :(

Back