Do I need a real air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteffen

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to wine-making and I am making my first few bottles to see how it turns out. I didn't want to invest a lot, so my ingredients/equipment is very simple: 64oz bottle 100% juice, wine yeast, and sugar.

The bottles have been fermenting well for 2 days, but I am concerned because I am not using an air lock--all I have done is slightly loosened the cap to let the CO2 out. Does anyone know if my loosened-cap will protect the wine, or should I buy/make a real air lock?

Fermentation is so vigorous right now I'm not too worried, but I am for when it begins to slow.

Thanks for any help.

During active fermentation a loose lid is fine. After that an airlock of some sort is really needed. If for no other reason, it keeps the fruit flies out of your wine. Fruit flies carry the bacteria that makes vinegar. Bungs and airlock cost under a buck each so it's not a huge investment.

Welcome to HBT! Stick around and learn all sorts of interesting things.

You should probably invest in a real airlock. They cost about $.79 cents, so it's not a big investment. You also need a stopper for the bottle, with the airlock stuck in the stopper. Those are cheap, also.

Make sure you're using something to sanitize your equipment- you don't want to make a batch of spoiled wine!

in a pinch I was told you can use a balloon.

Well, if you have absolutely no way to find anything else, you can. A pinhole in the balloon will allow co2 to escape.

The problem is that if the ballon pops off due to a temperature change, or excessive co2 outgassing, it would leave the wine vulnerable to bacteria, or worse, fruit flies, and ruin the wine.

An airlock is cheap insurance to keep the wine safe.

Back