my closet used to smell like stale beer...now it smells great..(new to kegging)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
ok, let me say first. thank you to everyone who responded to my last post about my closet smelling terrible.

i took my first sg reading 2 weeks later, and the brew smelled awesome

now 2 and a half weeks have gone by.

my og at 73.5 degrees was 1.060
yesterday it was 1.020 at 75 degrees.

today its 1.011 at 75.3

i guess it got a little burst when i disturbed it yesterday?

any way.

if it holds at this 1.011 for the next few days, i guess i am ready for the next step.

i am going to keg my beer since i got a dozen or so of the soda kegs sitting in my garage from when my dad used to do the soda for the local church.

finally my question...can i go right from my primary to my keg?

and if so...next time, can i make 2 batches at once...my kit came with 2 buckets, i guess i would just need to get another lid and airlock.

ok, let me say first. thank you to everyone who responded to my last post about my closet smelling terrible.

i took my first sg reading 2 weeks later, and the brew smelled awesome

finally my question...can i go right from my primary to my keg?

and if so...next time, can i make 2 batches at once...my kit came with 2 buckets, i guess i would just need to get another lid and airlock.

Yes and yes.

And give it time. I would actually let the beer sit for another 2-3 days. Going from 1.020 to 1.011 in a day is a big jump. Let it sit and finish cleaning itself up. In the meantime, clean those kegs. Smell the seals to make sure they don't smell like soda and then pressure test the kegs to make sure they'll hold pressure.

In fact, I just noticed that they did have soda in them. You'll want to replace all the seals. Anything rubber will likely keep that smell and it will not be good for your beer.

i need to get the kegs taken apart. get the rings off and such.

my local homebrew place should have them.....if not, wheres a good place to order them...a lot of people on here keep mentioning austin homebrew

For something like that you might be better off ordering in bulk. McMasterCarr seems to have all the right fittings. If you only need a couple your local store will have them, but they charge a lot more.

Back