Review my Recipe (Partial Mash Full Boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockybottom

Reaction score
1# Dark DME
4# Dark LME
2# 2-Row pale
1/2# Carafa III
1/2# Simpons Chocolate (or fawcett pale chocolate)
1/2# Belgian Debittered Black Malt
1/2# Caramel 80L
1/4# flaked Oats
1# Candi Sugar (brown)
2 g Paradise Seeds (5 min)

1/3 ounce Summit hops (wanted Yakima Magnum but it is out)

California Lager Yeast for the 1554 style (steam)

This is my first so I am not real sure how it will end up. Any help will be appreciated.

I know it is not a "style beer". I never colored in the lines either. I am more interested in the grain ratios and if anyone has used the summit in lieu of the magnum.

I am thinking the oats may have to leave though.

You've got a lot of roasted malts in there to go along with dark extract, I would either drop one or reduce all the amounts by at least 50%. 0.25lbs of oats won't do much for flavour but it will give a little bit more mouthfeel to the beer - you could drop them and it wouldn't change the beer much.

I've never used summit so I can't help there.

Thanks Brad I will heed to your suggestions and drop to 1/4 pound. I was adding the Oats just for the feel. Maybe I will keep them in.

I wanted to develop a recipe out of grains that I really like aiming toward a Black ale style beer. This was my first draft and knew there would be "better minds" on this board.

P.S> "designing great beers " is on it's way.

Back