Threads you are tired of seeing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree to a large point that most forum search tools aren't the greatest, or maybe I should just come out and say in many cases they suck.

Google's advanced search can help a lot particularly if not familiar with Boolean operators/expressions and searching that way.

Yeah I agree. I almost never use the search function on here and when I do it's terrible. I just search what I want on Google and it usually lists applicable threads from here. If I specifically want to search here I just type site:homebrewtalk.com and then whatever I want to search.

Yeah I agree. I almost never use the search function on here and when I do it's terrible. I just search what I want on Google and it usually lists applicable threads from here. If I specifically want to search here I just type site:homebrewtalk.com and then whatever I want to search.

The search function works fine for me, as long as it says "Google Custom Search" in the box before I start typing. When I have problems it's because, for some reason, the search is not a Google Custom Search. I haven't figured out why this happens, but sometimes it just loads wrong for me.

Oh, and we're WAY :off:

agreed. Unless you do an advance search and choose "Search Titles Only" otherwise the "Search Entire Port" function never finds anything close.

Its easier for me to just open a new tab and google whatever I'm looking for. The first result is usually an HBT link.

rvegas said:
If I have bottled beer and want to age it, do u need to chill it to stop the carbonation process first?

I can't tell if you're threadjacking or playing along with the joke :confused:

If you are being serious, you might want to start your own thread.

You know what grinds my gears?? (Peter Griffin reference in the house)

-I don't usually have an issue, but when the same question is asked three times and are all on the first page shows a little laziness; not just inexperience or lack of search skills.

- When a thread that seems like it would be of interest to many people and open to additional information disappears from sight quickly. I started a thread to see what people recycled / reused / re purposed in their brewing and it got four posts and gone. Not a biggie, just bummed me.

-I read for over a year on here before my first brew; and then see a guy that had a buddy who brewed and he decides to try to make for his first beer a Russian imperial IPA with toasted oak chips and eight pounds of sugar and car parts from a Chrysler Cordoba. And gets eleven pages of responses on how he could better it. Painful. And yes, a touch of jealousy due in part from my previous point.

I can't tell if you're threadjacking or playing along with the joke :confused:

If you are being serious, you might want to start your own thread.

I think he's saying he's tired of seeing that type of thread.

By " think," I mean "hope". Otherwise, yes, new thread would be appropriate.

As I've seen on a different forum unrelated to brewing....

This is meant to be a forum and a great place. Instead of being a rude ******* demanding people use the search function help them out. Otherwise its just a collective source of information when its the people that make the forum what it is. Who cares if you see the same thread every week. Its like that on any forum. Without the people giving personal insight and passing on knowledge then HBT would be nothing more than the info in the wiki. We were all newbs here at some point and for many new to forums altogether.

Look at members like Yooper and Revvy.... Both are great examples that have been answering the same questions for years and continue to do so.

This is meant to be a forum and a great place. Instead of being a rude ******* demanding people use the search function help them out. Otherwise its just a collective source of information when its the people that make the forum what it is. Who cares if you see the same thread every week. Its like that on any forum. Without the people giving personal insight and passing on knowledge then HBT would be nothing more than the info in the wiki. We were all newbs here at some point and for many new to forums altogether.

Look at members like Yooper and Revvy.... Both are great examples that have been answering the same questions for years and continue to do so.

I'm torn. I very much agree with this. However, there are some topics ("I just dropped X into my kettle/fermenter...is it ruined?" and "I just pitched my yeast 2 hours ago and there's no airlock activity...is it ruined?" come to mind) that really shouldn't require daily (or even weekly) answers.

Oh, that, and I'm just naturally a rude *******. :mug:

Shakybones said:
I'm torn. I very much agree with this. However, there are some topics ("I just dropped X into my kettle/fermenter...is it ruined?" and "I just pitched my yeast 2 hours ago and there's no airlock activity...is it ruined?" come to mind) that really shouldn't require daily (or even weekly) answers.

Oh, that, and I'm just naturally a rude *******. :mug:

I'll start by saying while I agree with you, its just the nature of forums. And this isn't directed at you...

Where I understand those people is HBT was the first forum I ever joined. I didn't know sh*t about brewing or what forums were like. Let alone being a part of one and the community aspects they carry. Hell from time to time I look at the first few I threads I started here just to give myself a laugh. So I know there's a lot of people posting those threads that are new to more than just brewing. Why tell them to search it up for themselves? Either don't post anything or help em with a damn link then explain how you found it. Help someone that's asking for it just because you can instead of making them head for the hills. There's a number of folks on here that have been helping answer the same questions for newb after newb longer than I've been on HBT and its something to appreciate. The answers make you come but the people make you stay.

I'd like to note I got 1st place in People's choice and 2nd in Judges at a comp yesterday with my IPA thanks to HBT.

I'd like to note I got 1st place in People's choice and 2nd in Judges at a comp yesterday with my IPA thanks to HBT.

Congrats!

I do try my best to answer any posts that I can to lighten the load on the eternal sages. So, I really don't mind it that much, I just like to *****. Thank you all for enabling me in my brewcraft and my whinebitchiness.

Heck I am just happy when I see a question I can help with and the rest I read to learn or just pass over if not interested

Had rude experiences in the LHBS shops when i started and if I wasn't so hard headed would have taken the condescending attitudes I received and moved onto something else instead of taking it as a challenge
I hate to see people give up a great hobby because folks don't have the time or patience to share experiences in a polite ish manner
That being said there are plenty on the forum willing to help and some funny muthas on here

I have never looked it as people demanding a poster search so much as encouraging them to try searching before asking a question. Sometimes it is obvious a poster has made little or no effort to find an answer on their own.

KeyWestBrewing said:

Amen brother!

Dude, that looks totally cool!!! LOL. I'm definitely going to try that. I'll come back and post my results with pictures, LMAO.:rockin:

NEVER to be seen again on HBT.

shuckit said:
Dude, that looks totally cool!!! LOL. I'm definitely going to try that. I'll come back and post my results with pictures, LMAO.:rockin:

NEVER to be seen again on HBT.

Haha, good one!

Back