Does home brew taste better than store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulp26

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm right on the edge of buying a beer kit. I've never tasted a home brew and have no access to do so. My last question before buying is... Do home brews generally taste better than store bought?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

They taste like micro/craft brewery store bought beer (better than Bud, Coors, Miller, Etc.)..... if you make it ready. Study up before you dive in :) Lots of great info at this site.

I have been a bud light drinker for 25 years. i mean only bud light. in the last 5 years i started drinking Guinness. Over the last year i was getting sick of bud light and started going to the local package store and buying imported german and belgian beers. Don't ask me why... maybe my pallet was maturing. I really liked the beer, but at 3.99 a beer it was getting a little expensive. I saw a tv ad for Sam adams beer. They were promoting a homebrewing contest. I logged on to there site, bougt the beer kit and made my first beer. I WAS HOOKED!!!!That was in September. I've made 4 batches since then and having a blast..Right this moment, i getting a little buzz off my own beer...How friggin cool is that.....

Go out tomorrow and buy yourself a kit and start brewing.You won't regret it...

Sometimes home brew tastes better, sometimes you find out you didn't really like the style. I've learned that I'm not as big of a fan of IPA as I thought I was, however I have friends who are :mug:

My first batch which has just spent it's third week in the bottles (today) is different than any beer I have ever tasted. There is nothing offensive about it. it is a nice change from the commercial stuff that I drink.

Given that success I am now aspiring to become creative, and am convinced that I will end up with something that I will be very pleased with.

My advice is to listen to what others have to offer...in the way of advice...but brew to please yourself.

Thanks so much for the feedback, this site is awesome!

I'll write back to report how my first batch goes. :)

Ryanh1801 said:
They can, they can also be worse.

Yeah, it's kinda like asking if your homemade burger is gonna be better than Maccas. It's likely, but still possible to stuff up. The great thing about homebrewing is it can be as easy or hard as you want it to be, with great results either way.

Definately read through the how to brew website posted above, if you like it I'd suggest buying the hard copy, a lot more info in there.

With experience, you can make craft microbrews clones that taste exactly like the originals. Most homebrewers will tune in on the flavor profile they like best.

david_42 said:
With experience, you can make craft microbrews clones that taste exactly like the originals. Most homebrewers will tune in on the flavor profile they like best.

Very well said. The first few brews that you do will be more of a learning experience then anything (I know mine were). Once you gain some experience you'll be making beer that rivals most of your favorite craft brews.

Not to mention the fact it's your beer! I mean how cool is that? Plus you can do what you want with it. Like the taste of Guinness but wanted a bit of coffee flavor, you can do it. Want to make a near toxic Imperial IPA ? You can do that too.

They'll have taste. The thing is BMC don't have any taste. Sometimes HB will have taste you like, others maybe not.

As others have said, making you own beer rocks! Not only are you sitting around drinking beer, YOU MADE IT! How cool is that? Really cool.

:mug: You can make great tasting brews from the get go. If you pay attention and can seperate the good things on this site. There is a thread on the top of this forum that is "what made the most differece in your brews?" Other than going AG.( which is more time consuming) Using specialty grains, fermenting temps, fresh malt extract, proven recipes,and of course good sanitation is the best advice I can give you. Good luck!:mug: Let's not forget patience RDWHAHB

Back