Chinook Hops Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I brewed an all-grain batch of IPA with just Chinook hops. I just bottled the other day and today I just tried one of the bottles and for the most part it taste great, there is a strange taste almost mold like and hop like at the same time not sure if its the hops or mold?

Suggestions?

dhoyt714 said:
3 weeks ago I brewed an all-grain batch of IPA with just Chinook hops. I just bottled the other day and today I just tried one of the bottles and for the most part it taste great, there is a strange taste almost mold like and hop like at the same time not sure if its the hops or mold?

Suggestions?

Never tasted mold, but im guessing you're thinking of an earthy flavor, which is one of Chinooks characteristics.

I was about to brew an APA using all Chinook, then I read a few different threads and the consensus seemed to be that Chinook needs to be balanced out with another hop or two. In addition to the Chinook, I have some Willamette, Ahtanum and EKG at home.

I guess it'll be the Ahtanum with some Willamette and that Chinook. Can someone say.....experimental? LOL

Back